[Solved] Can Libre and Open Offices co-exist?

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
kbellis

[Solved] Can Libre and Open Offices co-exist?

Post by kbellis »

Can Libre and Open Offices peacefully co-exist, without issue on the same machine? I've download LibreOffice, but haven't installed it yet, wondering how well the two play nice together on the same machine.

I've never tried Libre Office, but understand that it is similar to OpenOffice, or maybe even the same in some aspects. I consider doing so as I begin learning Base, something I have never delved into using OpenOffice as Calc has usually met my needs. Now I am starting to look at bigger data sets and am feeling my interests in LibreOffice whetted in addition to the educational investments in Base.
Last edited by kbellis on Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LO6222(x64) • AOO416 • Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Can Libre and Open Offices co-exist on the same machine?

Post by Zizi64 »

Yes, it worked for me in my Windows7x64Pro. Both of office suites was installed permanently. The later installed LibreOffice was associated to the relevant file extensions as default editor.

Today I am using a permanently installed LibreOffice version for daily working, and some portable versions of the AOO and LO for the Forum activity.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A little tweaking may be necessary at install time to get the install to go well. I have no knowledge of what this tweaking may need to be in Windows.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

You can open pictures with dozends of different applications from simple viewers up to professional image manipulation suites. You can open any file with any program that is able to handle the file.
When you open some file by double-click on a Windows icon and the file is loaded with an application you don't want yet, then you can either choose to open this file this time with another application or change the default application for that file type. Default application for a file type is the application that is started when double-clicking on an icon that represents that type of file.

AOO and LO are 2 separate applications from different vendors, although being similar. The later installed office suite (LO or AOO) takes over as the default application for the Open Document files (.odt .ods .odp .odg etc.) . During installation you can choose if the application to be installed should be the default application for Microsoft documents or not. It is a matter of seconds to change the default application for a given file type. Certainly, LibreOffice offers more functionality and supports more foreign file formats. At the moment it looks as if AOO is a dying project.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
kbellis

Post by kbellis »

Thank you all for your kind and quick replies.

So, it sounds that file associations are the only issues then?

@RoryOF - is that what you were talking about in terms of tweaks?
LO6222(x64) • AOO416 • Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

I run both on two different Windows 7 machines and the only tweaking I had to do was in regards to the file associations.
Just install whichever program you want to be to primary program last, and you should have no problems.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

There is no issue with file associations. It is a logical consequece that only one application can be the default application if more than one installed application is capable to open the same file.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice