Copy/paste won't work

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.

Copy/paste won't work

Postby Tia » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:12 pm

I have LibreOffice 6.0.
A few days ago, the copy/paste feature quit working.
I mainly need this feature to c/p material from docs into emails and blog templates.
At first I thought the problem could be my keyboard, as it's kinda old, but I have no trouble c/p from websites, only material in LibreOffice docs.
Might anyone know what the problem is, and how to correct it?

Also, I'd always used OpenOffice in the past, but I made two attempts (weeks ago and today) to download/install it, but Comodo says there's no digital signature and when I tried to install it anyway it said unknown publisher.
Last edited by robleyd on Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title Edited [robleyd, Moderator].
LibreOffice 6.0 Windows 7
Tia

Re: c/p won't work

Postby RoryOF » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:15 pm

Have you installed any utility that touches or monitors the clipboard?

There must surely be a method of over-riding Comodo's suggestion.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Xubuntu 18.04.2 (mostly 64 bit version) and infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Tia » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:18 pm

RoryOF wrote:Have you installed any utility that touches or monitors the clipboard?

There must surely be a method of over-riding Comodo's suggestion.

1. I don't think so. But I don't even know where to find the clipboard. Previously, I'd always followed the highlight-copy-paste method, never bothered with clipboard.

2. Comodo didn't stop me from installing it, I hesitated because it sounded like the download might not be legitimate.
(PC was hacked twice in less than a year, so I'm cautious about downloading anything unless I'm sure of its source)
Tia

Postby RoryOF » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:25 pm

One should only download through http://www.openoffice.org/download, which will redirect you to a nearby SourceForge server, where the files are stored under high security. There will be no need (read: do not) click on any other links presented to you on the SourceForge site.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Xubuntu 18.04.2 (mostly 64 bit version) and infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby John_Ha » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:54 pm

1. Download LibreOffice from https://www.libreoffice.org/

2. Please change your signature - it is confusing. OpenOffice is Apache OpenOffice - it is not LibreOffice. People need to know you are using LO to give you advice appropriate to LO.

3. If you want help with the copy/paste problem please take pity on us as we are mere mortals and not mind-readers. Please give details of exactly what happens or does not happen when you do xyz so that responders can begin to suggest things to try.
AOO 4.1.6, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Manual, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and the Writer guide.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby Tia » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:40 am

John_Ha wrote:1. Download LibreOffice from https://www.libreoffice.org/

2. Please change your signature - it is confusing. OpenOffice is Apache OpenOffice - it is not LibreOffice. People need to know you are using LO to give you advice appropriate to LO.

3. If you want help with the copy/paste problem please take pity on us as we are mere mortals and not mind-readers. Please give details of exactly what happens or does not happen when you do xyz so that responders can begin to suggest things to try.

I can't seem to get rid of the sig line, it's just there. Not intending to annoy or confuse anyone.

I currently have LibreOffice 6.0. I'd installed OpenOffice, but it reverted to LO when I did a system restore. So, I've tried both programs, with the same results.

The keyboard and mouse work- I can c/p into Notepad, but can't c/p from Notepad to anywhere else.
When I use either Notepad or LO and try to c/p into an email, it does a little bouncing motion but the text won't appear. However, I'm able to put images from desktop into emails without any problem.

I have the same problem with Blogger: c/p text does not work, uploading images does.

Thinking it might be a computer glitch, I cleared cache/cookies/etc.; next, I cleared out old files, etc.; next, I did a defrag. None of these approaches resolved the problem, and neither did System Restore.
And, as I mentioned before, I've used c/p regularly without any problems in the past. Had not made any changes to computer/programs prior to the issues starting.
Tia

Re: Copy/paste won't work

Postby RusselB » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:48 pm

Copy/Paste is an operating system level set of commands.
I don't know what operating system you are using, as I can't see your forum signature, which, in my experience, means it is blank, contrary to information posted in earlier replies.
Having looked over everything in this topic, I suspect that you have a corrupted operating system, which, if true, I suspect will mean a complete wipe of your hard drive and reinstallation of all software.
I am not a computer expert, so a local tech shop might have an alternative suggestion.
If finances are an issue in this regard, see if there is a local computer help group. They often will have suggestions that are cheaper or possibly free.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 and LibreOffice 6.0.6.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB
Volunteer

Postby robleyd » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:17 pm

Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7 Virtual machine
robleyd

Postby Tia » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:09 pm

RusselB wrote:Copy/Paste is an operating system level set of commands.
I don't know what operating system you are using, as I can't see your forum signature, which, in my experience, means it is blank, contrary to information posted in earlier replies.
Having looked over everything in this topic, I suspect that you have a corrupted operating system, which, if true, I suspect will mean a complete wipe of your hard drive and reinstallation of all software.
I am not a computer expert, so a local tech shop might have an alternative suggestion.
If finances are an issue in this regard, see if there is a local computer help group. They often will have suggestions that are cheaper or possibly free.

If this info is helpful, I have Windows 7.

(a sig line appeared automatically when I first posted, but another poster said it was confusing so I deleted it)
Tia

Postby RoryOF » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:30 pm

Some odd effects have been reported on OO when using Comodo. Disconnect from the Internet for safety - easiest to turn off your router, then disable Comodo and reboot computer with Comodo disabled. If Copy/Paste works then you may have to change some Comodo settings (I don't know which).

That test finished you can re-enable Comodo and turn on your router once again.
RoryOF

Postby robleyd » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:34 am

We ask members to place information in their signature showing their operating system and version together with office suite and version so we can identify problems that may occur only with a specific combination. For example, there is a current issue with Windows 10 and MS updates.

Office suite might be, for example, Apache OpenOffice, LibreOffice or NeoOffice.
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7 Virtual machine
robleyd

Postby Zizi64 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:37 am

(a sig line appeared automatically when I first posted, but another poster said it was confusing so I deleted it)

Go not delete but adjust it:

User Control Panel - Profile (TAB) - Signature (sub-TAB) - Add the name and version number of your office suite, and the operating system.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO4.4.7, LO6.1.5 on Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps, winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.2.0 and AOO4.1.5
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby Tia » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:40 am

Zizi64 wrote:

Go not delete but adjust it:

User Control Panel - Profile (TAB) - Signature (sub-TAB) - Add the name and version number of your office suite, and the operating system.

I think it's fixed now. Thank you!
Tia

Postby Zizi64 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:47 am

Thank you. It is a very important information for the helpers.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO4.4.7, LO6.1.5 on Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps, winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.2.0 and AOO4.1.5
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Return to LibreOffice