[Solved] SAXParseException - Help needed on docx file

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
giadinamiumiu

[Solved] SAXParseException - Help needed on docx file

Post by giadinamiumiu »

Hello,

I have been trying to solve this for the past 2 and a half hours, following all possible tutorials, but clearly my technical skills are not that great and now it is 2AM and I would need to work on this document tomorrow - any help would be greatly appreciated.

I keep getting this message on my DOCX file (I know, I will never use this format again):

File format error found at
SAXParseException: '[word/document.xml line 2]: Attribute w:cstheme redefined
', Stream 'word/document.xml', Line 2, Column 55826(row,col).

For a moment I somehow managed to recover *part* of the original file, but just 4 pages out of about 10. The rest seems to be lost, but I can't stop thinking that there must be a way to recover all the other pages too.

I wanted to upload the document here, but unfortunately it exceeds the 128Kib allowed - I am not sure how to make it available to any of you who could understand better the situation.

Thank you again,

Giada
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
robleyd

Re: SAXParseException - Help needed on docx file

Post by robleyd »

One option is to upload the file to a file sharing service such as Mediafire and post the link here.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
giadinamiumiu

Post by giadinamiumiu »

Thank you @robleyd! I had tried a couple but didn't work, this one does:
 Edit: Link removed at OP's request 

I hope it works,

G.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Downloaded - I have to go out for a couple of hours but will look at it when I get back.
 Edit: I've managed to recover 13 pages, to and including section 4.1which is one sentence and a URL. If you care to PM me with an email address, I'll send the repaired document to you. 
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

I have a repaired version that I will send by email.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] SAXParseException - Help needed on docx file

Post by John_Ha »

giadinamiumiu wrote:For a moment I somehow managed to recover *part* of the original file, but just 4 pages out of about 10. The rest seems to be lost
That is because when the file is opened it "worked OK" up to the position of the first error. Everything following the error was then not shown.

This is just the text with no formatting.
 Edit: File removed at OP's request 
Last edited by robleyd on Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove attached file
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Email address received and repaired document sent.

@giadinamiumiu - if you are happy with what has been recovered by any/all of us you might want to remove the file from Mediafire.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

Well, this was a kind of challenge for me. I never had repaired OOXML on the level of wrapped-in files and paths.
After about an hour (including a few mistakes I made though I should have known better) I had a working .docX, but it still contained a few paragraphs not "finding their style" probably due to a useless clock-symbol at the beginning. Finally I succeeded to replace the problematic symbol with "(SYMBOL?)", and was able to save the document as an .odt (and .docX as well).

The document seems to contain recorded changes and comments. In addition it was most likely edited alternately under different document models. You shouldn't continue to take this risk. If cooperation with MS-addicts is unavoidable on the level of actually writing into the same document, you have to surrender, I'm afraid. To get reliable results you should try to get your comrades to coummunicate ABOUT a text outside of it, or at least to restrict the interference to adding COMMENTS (notes in the margin) with the appropriate tool which was good practise for centuries. Developing relevant texts isn't a game to play in a "social network". (((imo)))

Since I didn't get a notion of private or "secret" content, I make accessible the document in both persistent formats. If you should object I will remove the files from my domain as soon as possible.

The link:
Removed. (By Lupp editing this post. The location in the web is also cleared.)
Last edited by Lupp on Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
giadinamiumiu

Post by giadinamiumiu »

Dear all,

a massive thank you for all your inputs and magic help. The document works fine now, thank you again so much - I will remove it from the link too.

Have a great day,

G.
giadinamiumiu

Post by giadinamiumiu »

Lupp wrote:Well, this was a kind of challenge for me. I never had repaired OOXML on the level of wrapped-in files and paths.
After about an hour (including a few mistakes I made though I should have known better) I had a working .docX, but it still contained a few paragraphs not "finding their style" probably due to a useless clock-symbol at the beginning. Finally I succeeded to replace the problematic symbol with "(SYMBOL?)", and was able to save the document as an .odt (and .docX as well).

The document seems to contain recorded changes and comments. In addition it was most likely edited alternately under different document models. You shouldn't continue to take this risk. If cooperation with MS-addicts is unavoidable on the level of actually writing into the same document, you have to surrender, I'm afraid. To get reliable results you should try to get your comrades to coummunicate ABOUT a text outside of it, or at least to restrict the interference to adding COMMENTS (notes in the margin) with the appropriate tool which was good practise for centuries. Developing relevant texts isn't a game to play in a "social network". (((imo)))

Since I didn't get a notion of private or "secret" content, I make accessible the document in both persistent formats. If you should object I will remove the files from my domain as soon as possible.

The link:
 Edit: Link removed at OP's request 
Hi Lupp!

I know I have been foolish, I will take precautions from now on. The issue seems to be solved and the file recovered - sorry I am new to the forum and did not know there was a private option you could request. That would be the case as it is a work document and I would be super grateful if we could remove all copies of it from public sites ;)

Thank you very much again!

G.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

Done.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
giadinamiumiu

Post by giadinamiumiu »

Lupp wrote:Done.
Thank you so much!