Custom Bullets and Numbering.

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.

Custom Bullets and Numbering.

Postby mickeyj4j » Wed May 23, 2018 12:33 pm

Hi i am, trying to create a default bullet and numbering setting. or at least save the current settings for the bullets and numbering that i have set up.

I want the default bullets/numbering to put them on the margin not indent it. :crazy:
Last edited by mickeyj4j on Tue May 29, 2018 3:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
LibreOffice 5.0.3.2 on Linux Mint 17.0.3
mickeyj4j
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 12:24 pm

Re: Custom Bullets and Numbering.

Postby Hagar Delest » Wed May 23, 2018 3:10 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Once you've set-up your style, include it in a template that you set as your default template.
There is no way to tweak the default bullet and numbering that is triggered by the toolbar button.

See: [Issue] How to make this numbered list the default?
AOO 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 19.10 and 4.1.5 on Windows 10 (with winPenPack port).
User avatar
Hagar Delest
Moderator
 
Posts: 28626
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:07 pm
Location: France

Re: Custom Bullets and Numbering.

Postby John_Ha » Wed May 23, 2018 3:20 pm

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem.

The chapter headings in the manual are as below and Numbering and lists is covered in Chapter 3

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.
AOO 4.1.6, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer
 
Posts: 6962
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:51 pm
Location: UK

Re: Custom Bullets and Numbering.

Postby mickeyj4j » Tue May 29, 2018 2:37 am

Hagar Delest wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum!

Once you've set-up your style, include it in a template that you set as your default template.
There is no way to tweak the default bullet and numbering that is triggered by the toolbar button.

See: [Issue] How to make this numbered list the default?

this does not save the bullets and numbering presets. This feature is included in other major office suites. and used to be included in LO/OO or one of the other OO based suites. it is most annoying if we have lost it in the later versions of LO now.

this is something i have done in the past because the default format wastes space with extra wide boarders indenting numbering and bullets too much choosing fonts that are not clean and are harder to read etc. It takes so much time having to manuallyt set the bullets/numbering up properly hwo io need them for each new document. I am now forced to not use bullets and numbering and just make my own in normal text which does take time but is quicker than trying to edit up new bullets.
Last edited by mickeyj4j on Tue May 29, 2018 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
LibreOffice 5.0.3.2 on Linux Mint 17.0.3
mickeyj4j
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 12:24 pm

Re: Custom Bullets and Numbering.

Postby mickeyj4j » Tue May 29, 2018 2:41 am

John_Ha wrote:As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem.

The chapter headings in the manual are as below and Numbering and lists is covered in Chapter 3

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.

the chapter heading are different than you have here. for writer see this
Image
LibreOffice 5.0.3.2 on Linux Mint 17.0.3
mickeyj4j
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 12:24 pm

Re: Custom Bullets and Numbering.

Postby Hagar Delest » Tue May 29, 2018 9:29 am

mickeyj4j wrote:this does not save the bullets and numbering presets.

Do you mean that your customized style is not retained in your new default template? Weird.

mickeyj4j wrote:This feature is included in other major office suites. and used to be included in LO/OO or one of the other OO based suites. it is most annoying if we have lost it in the later versions of LO now.

Can't say for LO, I don't use it.
AOO 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 19.10 and 4.1.5 on Windows 10 (with winPenPack port).
User avatar
Hagar Delest
Moderator
 
Posts: 28626
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:07 pm
Location: France

Re: Custom Bullets and Numbering.

Postby Villeroy » Tue May 29, 2018 10:58 am

Default templates work just like with OpenOffice. In addition the "pure" default settings which are active when you do nothing are stored in an actual template <install_dir>/share/template/common/styles/Default.ott. Changes affect all users. You need root acces to overwrite this template.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.x
User avatar
Villeroy
Volunteer
 
Posts: 27389
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:35 am
Location: Germany


Return to LibreOffice

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests