Recovering a corrupted file

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
lindenwolf

Recovering a corrupted file

Post by lindenwolf »

My computer crashed while I had an .ods file open. It is now corrupted. I have read previous entries and not had any luck with the suggestions to update to the latest version, rename a copy as a zip file, find a temp file to recover from, and the backup directory is empty. The only backup I can find is ancient and I'd like to recover if at all possible.
Open Office 4.1.5
robleyd

Re: Recovering a corrupted file

Post by robleyd »

What are the symptoms of the corruption, as the solution will vary? If you get something like Format error discovered in sub-document try the solution in [Tutorial] Format error discovered in sub-document if you are confident with trying that: else upload the file and someone will try and recover it for you - [Forum] How to attach a document here Note maximum file size is 128K. If your file is larger, use a file sharing site such as Mediafire and post the link here. The link also contains information on how to anonymise your document if it contains confidential information.

If you get a Text Import box, try to recover temporary or backup files as described in [Tutorial] The Dreaded Pound Signs: file reduced to ####; advice is similar for Writer and Calc files.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
lindenwolf

Post by lindenwolf »

I am getting all pound signs.
Attachments
CheckingBalance.ods
This is the file
(51.73 KiB) Downloaded 445 times
Open Office 4.1.5
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

There is nothing in the file - no recoverable data at all. You will need to follow the steps in the tutorial The Dreaded Pound Signs: file reduced to #### which I linked above.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers