[Solved] How to keep all text visible when moving cell

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
prr

[Solved] How to keep all text visible when moving cell

Post by prr »

I have inserted text into a table (1 row, 2 columns). When I move the middle boundary between the two cells, I find that it covers up the text that is close to the middle of the table. How can I ensure that all text within a cell is visible & viewable, when moving the boundaries between the cells?
Last edited by prr on Tue May 15, 2018 6:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
LO 7.1.6.2 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: How to keep all text visible when moving cell boundaries

Post by RusselB »

I think the only way to do this is to ensure that none of your text is right against the border. The positioning of the text in the column will have an effect on this.
Selecting a border in order to move it requires additional graphical space for the time that the border is selected.
I'm going to guess that the text displays again after you have moved the border, as you specified that it only covers up while the border is being moved.
Without knowing how you have the text positioned in the column, I can't make any recommendations as to ways that might work to keep the text visible at all times.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
prr

Post by prr »

OK look at this file. http://docdro.id/v3lHFuY You can choose to download the file as an ODT.

It is that table in the middle, with two columns labeled "Emperor" and "Peasants." Move the middle border to the left, and you can see that it covers the text under the Emperor heading.

I intentionally stripped the text of all formatting before pasting it in--not sure how this happened. And this is a new document (based on an older .doc formatted file).
Last edited by prr on Tue May 15, 2018 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
LO 7.1.6.2 on Windows 10
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

OK. I see what you mean.
What is actually happening is that the text in the Emperor column is not re-aligning for the smaller column width.
The text on the Peasants side does re-align.
I looked at the table properties, and, unfortunately I was not able to determine a difference between the properties for the Emperor column and those of the Peasants column.
I'm going to suggest you wait, and hopefully someone more familiar with Writer tables will be able to assist and resolve this.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
prr

Post by prr »

OK thanks anyways.
LO 7.1.6.2 on Windows 10
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

The problem is that the Emperor text is in a table within within the left column of the larger table that contains the the Peasants column. Click in the Peasants column and go to the menu Table -> Table Properties. On the Columns tab you can see that the table has two columns. Click on the Emperor text and the same Menu/tab shows only one column, with a width of 3.69. Click above the Emperor text but in the table that contains Peasants and you will again see that there are two columns.
Copy the Emperor text, then delete it and the table that contains it and paste the text in the same table as Peasants.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
prr

Post by prr »

Thanks, FJCC. That was it. I copied the text, deleted that table, then pasted the text back in, and oila, I can move that middle boundary and the text will move with it, and is always visible. Thanks again.
FJCC wrote:The problem is that the Emperor text is in a table within within the left column of the larger table that contains the the Peasants column. Click in the Peasants column and go to the menu Table -> Table Properties. On the Columns tab you can see that the table has two columns. Click on the Emperor text and the same Menu/tab shows only one column, with a width of 3.69. Click above the Emperor text but in the table that contains Peasants and you will again see that there are two columns.
Copy the Emperor text, then delete it and the table that contains it and paste the text in the same table as Peasants.
LO 7.1.6.2 on Windows 10