[Solved] Space bar inserts only one space, then gets stuck

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
Hlaford

[Solved] Space bar inserts only one space, then gets stuck

Post by Hlaford »

Hi there,

My problem is: I can`t move my cursor in a Writer document by the space bar. I mean, I can move it only one space forward, and after that, no matter how many times I hit the space bar, the cursor stays on the same place (i.e. I can`t move any word forward, for example, I have to hit the Tab button in this case).

Is it something normal?

Thank you!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved] [robleyd+Hagar, Moderator]
LibreOffice 5.1.6.2, Ubuntu 16.04
Hlaford

Re: Space bar inserts only one space, and than gets stuck

Post by Hlaford »

Solved. I had to untick "ignore double spaces" option under Tools -> AutoCorrect Options. Now everything is OK.
LibreOffice 5.1.6.2, Ubuntu 16.04
Scribe_05

Re: [Solved] Space bar inserts only one space, then gets stuck

Post by Scribe_05 »

Don't know why anyone would think to try this but it sure worked for me also. Many thanks.
"Aut Vincere Aut Mori"
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7
Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] Space bar inserts only one space, then gets stuck

Post by RoryOF »

This setting is to accommodate the American custom in modern typesetting that sentences should be separated from each other by only the same spacing as words in that flow of text. Many adherents of a different school feel that a sentence is a unit in itself and that each sentence should be set off from the next by slightly greater spacing; in typewriter days this was accomplished by using a double space after a full stop (period) or other sentence delimiter.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS