[Solved] LibreOffice 5.3.6.1. Calc - Turn off autocomplete

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
gildionne

[Solved] LibreOffice 5.3.6.1. Calc - Turn off autocomplete

Post by gildionne »

In Calc, how do I turn off the autocomplete of cell entries when I type the first few letters? There are times when this feature is annoying and I wish to disable it in one particular sheet.

Solutions found in other posts refer to menu functions that do not exist in my version (LibreOffice 5.3.6.1)

In the menu is 'Tools'-'Autocorrect Options'
there are tabs for
'Replace' which has no entries
'Exceptions' which has no entries
'Options' with a series of tick boxes. Image 'SShot041.jpg' attached (note 'Use Replacement Table' is not ticked.)
and 'Localized Options' which only refers to punctuation marks and quotes.

I checked 'Tools' - 'Options' and can find nothing that seems to apply. The 'Paths' to 'AutoCorrect' leads to a 0 byte .dat file.

Any Ideas?
Attachments
image of options dialog
image of options dialog
SShot041.jpg (28.71 KiB) Viewed 6619 times
Last edited by gildionne on Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LibreOffice 5.3.6.1 on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: LibreOffice 5.3.6.1. Calc - Turn off autocomplete

Post by Zizi64 »

In the LO 5.3.x:
Uncheck - in the main menu - the "Tools - AutoInput" option.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
gildionne

Post by gildionne »

Thank You, Zizi64,

I finally found the correct tick box in 'Tools - Calculate - AutoInput'.

Previously tried 'Autocomplete' as search term in my LibreOffice Calc Help, with no success.
Searching online, and in the forums, the solutions presented all pointed to paths that were not on my machine.

You gave the feature name as 'AutoInput' and when I tried it in my search of the Help File, it brought up the article, but it still gave an incorrect path - 'Tools - Cell Contents - AutoInput'.
Help needs an update.

The search using 'Autocomplete' did not list 'Autoinput' at all.
It would help if the correct terminology was obvious, or if the index showed a greater range of search term variants.
Maybe in the future!
LibreOffice 5.3.6.1 on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Solved - LibreOffice 5.3.6.1. Calc - Turn off autocomple

Post by Villeroy »

Spell checking and auto correction replace certain character patterns after they have been typed. Spell checking is triggered after you finished typing a word. The other replacements may be triggered otherwise, for instance straight qutotes instantly replaced by typographic quotes.

Auto correct suggests text completions based on constant (not calculated) text values that have been entered in the same column before you finished typing the cell's text. This can be extremely useful for consistent list keeping where certain strings (names) occur repeatedly in the same column and must not mistyped. A very similar feature in Writer is called "Word Completion".
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice