[Solved] Can't open .docx file after normal save

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
hausi2

[Solved] Can't open .docx file after normal save

Post by hausi2 »

Hi here,
I'm working on a stuff for my study.
They need my work on msword format, thats why i opend and safe my file in .docx format more times after some work.
But on the last work i saved the work and i can't open it anymore.
I tried very long time to solve the problem but i'm not that technical guy. I followed and read lot of howtos too here.
On the file i have around 30 pages with lot of footnote. Apache saw only 4 pages and the formats are bad. I tried with libreoffice on mac the same error.
I can extract the xml file but than there are no footnotes anymore. and formattig is really bad.
I have to give my work today so... ..s... happends.. :alarm:

The error is:
Formatfehler an Position unsatisfied query for interface of type com.sun.star.embed.XRelationshipAccess!
SAXParseException: '[word/footnotes.xml line 2]: unknown error', Stream 'word/footnotes.xml', Line 2, Column 27757
SAXParseException: '[word/document.xml line 2]: unknown error', Stream 'word/document.xml', Line 2, Column 29699(Zeile,Spalte) in der Datei entdeckt.

The file is here. you can download. and upload if you can repair.
 Edit: Document link removed for academic confidentiality [RoryOF, Moderator] 

I'm so thanks full if somebody can repair this.

good morning
hausi
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
libreoffice Version: 5.1.6.2 / Build-ID: 1:5.1.6~rc2-0ubuntu1~xenial2/ BS-Version: Linux 4.10; UI-Render: Standard; / Gebietsschema: de-DE (de_DE.UTF-8);
robleyd

Re: Can't open .docx file after normal save

Post by robleyd »

I couldn't find an error in the XML files mentioned, but AOO would only display a few pages as you found. I guessed that maybe AOO was just unable to display the full document - not unusual with less than simple layout in docx format - so I used zamzar.com to convert from docx to odt. The resulting document has 32 pages, and is attached.
 Edit: Document removed for academic confidentiality [RoryOF, Moderator] 
Let me know if you want the document removed once you have downloaded it.

Consider keeping the document in .odt format and only save as .docx once you are finished.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I found OpenOffice would only open four pages. Abiword crashed on attempting to open the document. Examination of the internal content.xml file with XML Copy Editor told me that the internal structure of the content was well formed.

The file robleyd has uploaded contains most, if not all, of the content.

Perhaps also use /File /Export as PDF and send a PDF copy of the file _also_, just in case.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

This file has all the text from your .docx file. The corruption is probably in one of the style xml files but I did not investigate further.
 Edit: Document removed for academic confidentiality [RoryOF, Moderator] 
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

John_Ha wrote: The corruption is probably in one of the style xml files but I did not investigate further.
Out of interest, I examined many (not all) of the internal .xml files, including footnotes.xml and document.xml (mentioned specifically in the original post) with XML Copy Editor; these were all reported as "well formed".

As robleyd and John_Ha have both uploaded rescued files I didn't waste any more time investigating the problem.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

The problem appears to occur at " ... Zukunft zu sichern. Durch das duale" in the document, which is the last thing shown when I open it.

document.xml is as below, where the first footnoteReference definition in the XML is footnoteReference 2 instead of (I would expect) footnoteReference 1. Someone with better XML skills than me my be able to diagnose this better.

Why did it happen? LO seems not to like swapping .docx file with comments and/or footnotes between LO and MS Word. One or other of them seems to corrupt the file.

Code: Select all

<w:r>
				<w:rPr/>
				<w:t>In einer immer schneller werdenden Gesellschaft in dem mehr und mehr der Kampf um Rechte und Vorteile des Individuums an Bedeutung gewinnt, verwundert es immer weniger, wenn Unternehmen und Firmen insbesondere in der „Rundfunkbranche“ sich immer mehr Rechte erkämpfen versuchen um damit die eigene wirtschaftliche Zukunft zu sichern. Durch das duale</w:t>
			</w:r>
				<w:rPr>
					<w:rStyle w:val="Funotenanker"/>
				</w:rPr>
				<w:footnoteReference w:id="2"/>
				<w:t xml:space="preserve"> Rundfunksystem in Deutschland wird dieser Umstand des Konkurrenzlebens verstärkt. So versuchen immer wieder  private aber auch öffentlich-rechtliche Rundfunksender  Exklusivverträge mit Veranstaltern abzuschließen, um nur selbst das infrage kommende Ereignis oder die Veranstaltung auszustrahlen und andere Sender von der Übertragung auszuschließen. Damit streben Fernsehveranstalter nach höheren Zuschauerzahlen um schließlich mehr erwirtschaften zu können. Jedoch werden damit enorm wichtige, verfassungsrechtliche Rechte der Zuschauer bzw. der Bürger beispielsweise auf Zugang zu freien Informationen beschränkt, eingeschnitten oder völlig gestört. Hinzu kommt, dass durch diese Exklusivverträge, der Anteil der frei empfangbaren Sender stark abnimmt und kostenpflichtig wird. Auch müssten dann sogar kurze Berichte und Nachrichten über diese Ereignisse und Veranstaltungen unterbleiben. Somit besteht die große Gefahr von Entwicklung einer „Zwei-Klassen-Gesellschaft“, in dem nur die wohlhabenden Bürger sich den Empfang von Ereignissen bzw. Veranstaltungen mit großem allgemeinen Interesse leisten können. Sogar nur die Vorstellung darüber, dass die nächste Fußballweltmeisterschaft im freien Fernsehen gar  nicht zu empfangen wäre, ruft bei vielen Menschen in Deutschland Empörung aus; und dass vor dem Hintergrund, dass im Jahr 2014 die deutsche Fußballmannschaft Weltmeister wurde und diese Weltmeisterschaft ca. 3,2 Milliarden Zuschauer erreichte</w:t>
				<w:rPr>
					<w:rStyle w:val="Funotenanker"/>
				</w:rPr>
				<w:footnoteReference w:id="3"/>
				<w:t xml:space="preserve">. </w:t>

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
hausi2

Post by hausi2 »

Hi, thanks to all involved!
it was a horryble time.. i finished it .. little bit late because of traffic jam.
but i finished and give it to the prof. a little bit late but... They accepted it to give me a mark. let us see.

my solution, bad but it does it. i send the file to my ipad, then the documents app viewed it. From there i opened in pages app on ipad than i send it as docx file back to my linux pc. after thad i coud open it and saved it as odt.
You can imagine my situation? i was very stressed... right now it is behind me :ouch:

It is very curios. i do the same thing as the pages before. and the last time i could'nt open it. but i saw after finished work, i saved it as .docx and the same thing, i could'nt open it. the last work i saved as pdf and old .doc format hope the prof will accept that.

Thanks again to you all! :super:
please remove the file.
bye hausi
libreoffice Version: 5.1.6.2 / Build-ID: 1:5.1.6~rc2-0ubuntu1~xenial2/ BS-Version: Linux 4.10; UI-Render: Standard; / Gebietsschema: de-DE (de_DE.UTF-8);
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Files removed from Forum - you should remove it from the remote site to which you uploaded it.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

hausi2 wrote:It is very curios. i do the same thing as the pages before. and the last time i could'nt open it. but i saw after finished work, i saved it as .docx and the same thing, i could'nt open it.
See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why you should always work in, and save files, as .odt.