[Solved] Cannot open 64 bit download.

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
VJP

[Solved] Cannot open 64 bit download.

Post by VJP »

I was trying to run the Base for the first time and got a JRE required error message. I searched the forums and found a post about missing jre. The recommendation was to download a file from Microsoft from a link. This resulted in the message "newer file installed". The other recommendation was to make sure that the 64 bit version was installed. I checked and found that I had the 32 bit version so I deleted that and downloaded the 64 bit version. When it had finished downloading I clicked on run and the Cannon Digital Processing 4 program opened. Thinking that I had miss clicked I downloaded again, with the same result. I tried again but saved to file this time. When I clicked on the file to run it DP4 opened up yet again. Has anyone any idea what is going on?
Last edited by RoryOF on Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added green tick [RoryOF, Moderator]
Libre Office 5.4.1.2 on Surface Book Win 10
RoryOF

Re: Cannot open 64 bit download

Post by RoryOF »

Please correct your Forum signature: if you are running version 5.4.1.2, you are running LibreOffice - check when in the program using /Help /About. This information will ensure that you get more accurate help.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
VJP

Post by VJP »

As I said in my post I have deleted the 32 bit version and am trying to download the 64 bit version. I have looked at the file downloaded and it has the type XXXXX.man. I presume this means it is the Manual for Libre Office. I will alter "Open" to "Libre". Every time I try to download it gives me the *.man not an install file. I am using the libreoffice.org to download.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If I remember correctly, some (all?) Windows Browsers silently rename downloads to the type of file that they think it should be. Try renaming the ".man" to .exe" and see if it will install. If you are in doubt about this, wait for advice from a Windows using Forum volunteer - I don't use Windows.
VJP

Post by VJP »

Much to my surprise you are correct in that Edge renamed the file extension, it should have been “msi”. I have used MS since DOS 4 and never had a file renamed before.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Internet Explorer was (is?) famous for it.
VJP

Re: Cannot open 64 bit download. Solved

Post by VJP »

As I said it’s the first time it’s everhappened to me.