[Solved] Another display problem

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
txGreg

[Solved] Another display problem

Post by txGreg »

I've seen some other questions about display issues, but did not find any the same as what I am experiencing. I have a fairly recent laptop (Dell XPS) running Windows 10. I'd been running LibreOffice with no problems for a while, but recently updated to the 5.40/5.41 releases. I think Windows might have updated as well during the window from where all was OK until the problem manifested... not sure.

Anyway, all the sudden when I opened any of the Office apps, I noticed that my menu (file, edit, view, etc.) was gone, and the fonts in the interface looked to large for the space in which they resided (formatting toolbar vanishing off the edges of the window, text too large for the status bar, etc.). Additionally, when I click with the mouse in a spreadsheet cell w/in Calc, the program will select one a row above where my pointer is sitting.

If I start Office in safe mode, and launch the apps from there, they seem to work OK. I un-installed and re-installed version 5.3.6, but no change. So, I un-installed again, and deleted the entire LibreOffice folder from under my AppData/Roaming folder. After re-installing with a fresh user profile... no change. Same display issues, still works fine in Safe Mode.

Since it works OK in safe mode, this is obviously not a show-stopper. However it is a bit annoying, and means I can't simply double-click on a document to open it. I have looked in the Settings menu and ensured that OpenGL is disabled. Not sure what to try next.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!
Last edited by txGreg on Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LibreOffice 5.3.6 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: another display problem

Post by RusselB »

You mentioned that a Windows update might've happened between the time your display was working properly and now (when it isn't)
Did you try undoing the most recent Windows update? I'm not sure how they word it in Windows 10, but a quick Google search for "undo a Windows 10 update" brought back a few options.
My suggestion is that you try undoing any Windows updates that have been applied since the last time you know it worked properly.
That should give you a system that works as you expect, then you can go through the updates one at a time until you find the one (possibly more than one) that is affecting your display.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
txGreg

Post by txGreg »

Thanks RusselB - I thought about that, and I might mess with it eventually, but since no other apps are having problems, and LibreOffice works fine in safe mode... I thought I'd see if maybe something could be fixed there first. I can un-install the cumulative security updates, but not sure off-hand how to go back and install them individually. I'd rather not mess with Windows itself for a problem related to one app like this if I can avoid it.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Try using the forum Search box using the terms windows update libreoffice. There was another post a few days ago about this problem.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
txGreg

Post by txGreg »

Thanks Bill,

I did search, and the only similar post I found using your keywords is one called "Windows 10 Creators Update blanks menus and text." While that is similar to another topic that I'd already found, that's not the same symptom that I'm seeing. I also have a partial resolution (safe mode) that seems not to work for people experiencing that issue, while the resolution that works for some of them (disable OpenGL) does not improve the situation for me.

Thanks for the input though! I appreciate it.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Disable hardware graphics acceleration? It used to? still does? fix Firefox problems.

It sounds like a(nother) Windows 10 problem. Despite qualifying for the free W10 upgrade and actually installing it, I quickly backed it out and reverted to W7 for a very good reason - W10 is awful!

You can buy a valid W7 licence on eBay for a few pounds. I have downgraded several W10 systems to W7 with such licences.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
LawrenceWolf

Re: Another display problem

Post by LawrenceWolf »

Hi txGreg,

I had the same problem as you had ... menus missing, using the mouse i had to offset where I was clicking, etc.
Try running LibreOffice in Windows 7 compatibility mode .... worked for me.

Right click on LibreOffice shotrtcut, properties, compatibility --> Windows 7.

Regards,
LibreOffice 5.4.1 on Windows 10
txGreg

Re: Another display problem

Post by txGreg »

Thanks LawrenceWolf, that seems to have done the trick. Weird problem - glad you had found a solution.
LawrenceWolf

Re: [Solved] Another display problem

Post by LawrenceWolf »

You're welcome.

I don't think Libre Office is ready for hi-res screens yet. I am assuming you're running a XPS with a 4k screen?
LibreOffice 5.4.1 on Windows 10