[Solved] Tried to install LibreOffice but no installer (exe)

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
gm2fz

[Solved] Tried to install LibreOffice but no installer (exe)

Post by gm2fz »

This morning I tried to download and install LibreOffice onto my W7 Pro 64bit computer. The download seemed to work okay but it wouldn't install.
The downloaded file is called 'LibreOffice_5.2.6_Win_x64.msi' and when clicked, seems to go through the motions but when i ran a search, i couldn't find any .exe file. could the msi file be for a linux system perhaps?
when i downloaded it, i'm sure it said it was for windows vista & 7 & 8 x86/x64
Last edited by gm2fz on Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice v4.1.3
W7 Pro 64bit
Greengiant224

Re: tried to download & install libreoffice but was unsucess

Post by Greengiant224 »

gm2fz:
The downloaded file is called 'LibreOffice_5.2.6_Win_x64.msi' and when clicked, seems to go through the motions but when i ran a search, i couldn't find any .exe file. could the msi file be for a linux system perhaps?
This file is the correct one for windows installations only.

The file extension is a microsoft software installation file hence the *.msi extension.
Clicking on this file will install the components usually to your desktop or other such destination
of your choice. From there you will find the *.exe to install the program to the hard drive.

Greengiant224

Win 7, Portable AOO 4.1.14, LibreOffice 6.2, 7.4.5 & 7.6.1 (Java 1.7.81 & 1.8.0_281) utilising HSQL 1.8.10 & 2.4.*, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite
+ Blood, Sweat and Tears (Application, Determination and Perseverance)
gm2fz

Re: Tried to download & install LibreOffice but was unsucess

Post by gm2fz »

hi ... and thank you for your confirmation of the file i downloaded and also your advice as to how to get hold of the exe file.

i did as you suggested and went down (in my case) the 10 levels from C:\Users till i ended up amongst 11folders, two of which related to libreoffice_5.2.6_ but like the other 9, were all empty. i'm not sure where to look for the exe file.

the only thing that happens when i click the msi file is that a whole load of alpha-numeric characters come up on screen as a text file. nothing else so i just delete the text file.

is there anything else i could do please?
OpenOffice v4.1.3
W7 Pro 64bit
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Re-download; you probably have a bad download.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

gm2fz wrote:hi ... and thank you for your confirmation of the file i downloaded and also your advice as to how to get hold of the exe file.

i did as you suggested and went down (in my case) the 10 levels from C:\Users till i ended up amongst 11folders, two of which related to libreoffice_5.2.6_ but like the other 9, were all empty. i'm not sure where to look for the exe file.

the only thing that happens when i click the msi file is that a whole load of alpha-numeric characters come up on screen as a text file. nothing else so i just delete the text file.
There is no .exe file to find. Apache OpenOffice uses an .exe file that unpacks other files (including an .msi file) to the Desktop that are used to install AOO, but no .exe file is used to install LibreOffice. Double-clicking the .msi file should start the Windows Installer which then starts the LO Installation Wizard. It doesn't put anything on the Desktop. If double-clicking the .msi file opens as text document, then your file association for .msi files may be wrong. Right-click the .msi file and select Properties. on the General tab, does it say "Open with: Windows Installer"?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
gm2fz

Post by gm2fz »

good point ...

i deleted all traces of my previous attempts to get libreoffice and went through the process of about half a dozen different sources and downloaded them one at a time. with the setup file (LibreOffice_5.3.2_Win_x64.msi) on the computer, i clicked it and the text file i mentioned earlier appeared on screen as shown below. this result happened at every attempt ... a total of 9 times, each size different in x86 and x64.
i also downloaded v4.0.0 from the oldversion.com site ... the result is also shown below.
am i doing something wrong? other than clicking the setup file, i'm not sure what else to look for.

libreoffice_5.3.2_win_x64.msi.jpg
libreoffice_5.3.2_win_x64.msi.jpg
libreoffice_4.0.0_win_x86.msi.jpg
libreoffice_4.0.0_win_x86.msi.jpg
OpenOffice v4.1.3
W7 Pro 64bit
gm2fz

[SOLVED] Re: Tried to download & install LibreOffice but wit

Post by gm2fz »

hi bill ...

you're a star. i knew i'd missed something ... just couldn't think!!

yes, it said windows installer and the familiar installation windows started to appear. :D

thank you so much ... very much appreciated...

regards ... michael.
OpenOffice v4.1.3
W7 Pro 64bit