[Solved] LibreOffice Format Error SAXParse

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
Wahine

[Solved] LibreOffice Format Error SAXParse

Post by Wahine »

Hi,

I am unable to open a .docx document due to the following error:

File format error found at SAXParseException: '[word/document.xml line 2]: Attribute w:cstheme redefined ', Stream 'word/document.xml', Line 2, Column 72562(row,col).

I originally created the document and started writing it on a Windows PC in Word, saved as .docx. I then took it home and continued working on it in LibreOffice on Linux and continued saving it as .docx. I had some formatting issues with the cover page and a few other details that I wanted to fix so I switched over to Windows on my own laptop (it's set up for dual boot) and tried to open it with Word but got an error message (no option to recover). I then switched back to Linux and tried to open the document in LibreOffice again and got the error message above. And now here I am!

I have looked through various threads, on this and other forums, and concluded that the only option left now was to ask for help here and see if anyone could find a way to fix the document. I have tried changing the extension, opening with Arc and opening the document.xml file and trying to find the error there, and tried a website for XML conversion to "pretty print". Nothing has worked so far.

Of course this all happened a few hours before I was due to submit my assessment. Help please!
Attachments
A1 - Case Study Metro-Info.docx
(57.12 KiB) Downloaded 388 times
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
LibreOffice 5.1.6.2 on KUbuntu 4.4
RoryOF

Re: LibreOffice Format Error SAXParse

Post by RoryOF »

Try the attached. Please check that all formatting and content are correct.
Attachments
A1 - Case Study Metro-Info repaired.docx
(56.66 KiB) Downloaded 626 times
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Wahine

Post by Wahine »

RORY! I love you, you bloody life-saver. Saved my arse here. :super: :bravo:

The document is perfect! Can you explain what the hell went wrong here? Should I install AOO instead of LO?

I will be saving back-ups of back-ups from now on, though I do want to understand what the problem is. I've had issues with formatting not carrying across from Word to LO and vice versa but nothing like this.
LibreOffice 5.1.6.2 on KUbuntu 4.4
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

LibreOffice seems to have a problem with .docx; OpenOffice reads, but does not write, .docx. It would be better to work in .odt format, which all post 2007 versions of MS Word can read, even if IT departments do not realise that. If MS Word does not properly render the .odt file complaints should be addressed to Microsoft, who support their bastardised version of .odt.

There was a large duplicate tag - I cannot say why; I simply removed it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
silviarev

Post by silviarev »

I seem to have a similar problem, and I'm not sure how to fix it. When I try to open the document, I get this error message:

File format error found at
SAXParseException: '[word/document.xml line 2]: Attribute w:cstheme redefined
', Stream 'word/document.xml', Line 2, Column 50711(row,col).

It's an important document I worked on..Please help me!
Attachments
Business Plan Template w Notes.docx
(48.92 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
LibreOffice 5.1.6.2 on Ubuntu