[Solved] LibreOffice File format error found at SAXParse

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
RoxaNoel

[Solved] LibreOffice File format error found at SAXParse

Post by RoxaNoel »

I also have a corrupted .docx file, and I do not have the skills to repair it myself; do not lecture me on using .docx, I never ever use it normally, I just had to modify something on a preexisting .docx file and forgot to change the format!

Thanks a lot :(
Attachments
PHIL 596 Roxane Noel_DRAFTRN.w2017.docx
(13.42 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: LibreOffice File format error found at SAXParse

Post by John_Ha »

I extracted your text with Notepad++. In Notepad++ Go Search > Replace ..., with search argument <[^>]+> and replace argument is blank. Be sure to tick Regular Expressions. Click Replace All.

Your text is:

PHIL 596Jack ZupkoUniversity of AlbertaRoxane NoëlWinter 2017 Directed Reading in Medieval Philosophy The focus of this directed reading will be on the medieval notion of intentionality, with special emphasis on Peter Abelard. There are two common meanings attached to the word “intentional”. In its first, everyday sense, an intentional act is an act that was made willingfully by an agent. By contrast, an unintentional act is accidental and so wasn’t intended by the agent. This sense is often at play when it comes to moral questions: Can someone be good even without good intentions? Is a good intention sufficient for an action to be good, even though it ends up triggering unforeseen negative consequences? In this area, Abelard is well-known for his very demanding intentionalist ethics. According to him, when it comes to evaluating the moral character of actions and/or people, the only important factor is the intentions of the agent; consequences are morally irrelevant. But there is also another, more technical sense of “intentional” that is better known to current readers through the work of Brentano. In this sense, an intentional act is an act that has the property of an act to be directed towards something else, from the Latin tendere, being in tension. Brentano is well known for stating that intentionality is the mark of the mental, but the notion was broader for the scholastics. For them, intentionality was an important trait of cognitive acts, but was not only limited to mental phenomena. The aim of this directed reading is then twofold. First, I want to clarifiy what the links between the two senses of intentionality are. Abelard seems like an interesting choice since he not only writes about intentionalist ethics, but he also explores the intentional character of the mind in Tractatus de Intellectibus; even though there are a few occurences of the latin word “intentio” in the text, however, the notion is not fully thematized. This brings me to my second goal, which is to clarify to what extent Abelard’s characterization of cognitive acts fits in the medieval tradition of thinking about intentionality. I would especially like to see how close he is to other medieval thinkers but also to the ways more contemporary authors have thought about intentionality.Principal Readings Klima, Gyula (ed.) Intentionality, Cognition, and Mental Representation in Medieval Philosophy. Medieval Philosophy: Texts and Studies. New York: Fordham University Press, 2015.Spade, Paul Vincent (ed.) Peter Abelard: Ethical Writings. Indianapolis: Hackett, 1995.Spade, Paul Vincent (ed.) Five Texts on the Mediaeval Problem of Universals. Indianapolis: Hackett, 1994. Peter Abelard, De intellectibusAdditional ReadingsMarenbon, John (1997). The Philosophy of Peter Abelard. Cambridge University Press. Tweedale, Martin M. (1976). Abailard on Universals. North Holland.Requirements Research Paper (70% of final grade)An essay of approximately 3000-4000 words (= approximately 12-16 double-spaced pages in 12-pitch font), written in two drafts, on a mutually agreed-upon topic.  First draft due Friday, March 24; final draft due Friday, April 7.   Lecture(s) in PHIL 336 (10% of final grade)Teach class(es) on Peter Abelard’s ethics to PHIL 336 students, week of January 23, 2017Discussion (20% of final grade)Discussion of philosophical questions/topics at periodic meetings.
Do not lecture me on using .docx.
This failure is probably caused by LO formatting the .docx file incorrectly which is not surprising seeing how deliberately? over complex the .docx "standard" is; and how Microsoft itself does not adhere to it! Some words of advice, if not a lecture, are definitely in order :super: - see [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why you should always work in and save files as .odt.

If this solves the problem, please click the Edit button on your original post and add [Solved] in front of your subject.
Last edited by John_Ha on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
robleyd

Re: LibreOffice File format error found at SAXParse

Post by robleyd »

Hopefully this has most of your formatting as well as the text.
foo.docx
(14.59 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers