[Solved] Writer eliminates automatically paragraphs space

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
Accord2

[Solved] Writer eliminates automatically paragraphs space

Post by Accord2 »

Hi, I'm new here and new to LibreOffice.
My problem is that when I press Enter to change paragraph the programs deletes the initial space of the paragraph. For example
Paragraph 1 (I press Tab to create the initial space), I reach the end and press then Enter to start a new line, the initial space of this paragraph is deleted and all the text becomes justified. Can anyone help me? Thanks :)
Last edited by Accord2 on Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LibreOffice 5.2 on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: The program eliminates automatically paragraphs space

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You should not use the tab in the first place. Use paragraph styles instead, configured with an indent for first line.
There is already a predefined style for that (indent or something like that, can't tell right now, I'm on a French machine).

Please add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

@ Hagar
Actually I don't see that Style in LibreOffice Hagar. Weird, it definitely existed in my last version of AOO.

@ Accord2

I would recommend modifying the Text Body Indent paragraph Style by setting the Before Text indent (under the Indents and Spacing tab) to 0.00cm and setting the First line Indent to 0.50cm to achieve what you want but using Hagar's approach.

Bring up the Stylist (hit F11) scroll down to Text Body Indent , right-click on the Style and select Modify. Then follow the instructions above and save the results.

As Hagar says, "You should not use the tab in the first place". It is bad practice with AOO or LO.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In OpenOffice it is the "Indents and Spacing" tab; there is a setting for "First line indent" which you can set to an indent you require. More traditional is the "Automatic" setting, which applies a 1 em paragraph indent. The setting ought be the same name in LibreOffice, but I haven''t got that installed to check.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS