[Solved] Can't update to LibreOffice 5.1.5

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
GowerMick

[Solved] Can't update to LibreOffice 5.1.5

Post by GowerMick »

I tried to update LibreOffice to Version 5.1.5 in the usual way, I now encounter 'Error 1303' halfway through the install (see Image).

I am already logged on as an 'Administrator', so cannot understand why this is occurring! I have recently (within last few days) updated Windows 10, so wonder if this could be the cause, any suggestions on how to proceed?

Addendum: Problem was that for some reason, the LibreOffice folder was 'Locked' an couldn't be deleted. After re-booting PC, I successfully deleted the folder, and was able to upadte LO. Hopefully it hasn't resulted in losing my settings!
Attachments
Error 1303.jpg
Mick
LibreOffice 7.2.6.2 (x64)
Oracle Report Builder
Windows 10 Home
GowerMick

Re:Can't update LibreOffice

Post by GowerMick »

GowerMick wrote:I tried to update LibreOffice to Version 5.1.5 in the usual way, I now encounter 'Error 1303' halfway through the install (see Image).

I am already logged on as an 'Administrator', so cannot understand why this is occurring! I have recently (within last few days) updated Windows 10, so wonder if this could be the cause, any suggestions on how to proceed?

Addendum: Problem was that for some reason, the LibreOffice folder was 'Locked' an couldn't be deleted. After re-booting PC, I successfully deleted the folder, and was able to upadte LO. Hopefully it hasn't resulted in losing my settings!
Spoke too soon! Same thing happened trying to update to 5.2.5.1 - with same workaround - Why is this happening?
Is there a bug in the installation file?
Mick
Oracle Report Builder
Windows 10 Home
robleyd

Re: [Solved] Can't update to LibreOffice 5.1.5

Post by robleyd »

A quick web search for Error 1303 suggests this is a fairly common problem with many programs and Windows. Top result for me was https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... b9659e31e3
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
GowerMick

Post by GowerMick »

David, much as I appreciate your reply, it doesn't answer the question why I can't update LO. I am sole user on my PC with full administration rights so problem shouldn't occur, and it only seems to happen with LO. With every other program I update, things run smoothly with no problems.

LO manages to delete most of the files (so I lose LO after the error), but there must be a part of the upgrade routine that is hanging on to and locking a file or folder, preventing its deletion. Even after installation fails, the file or folder remains locked, and only when I reboot, does it let go and allow me to delete the folder and what little remains inside. :crazy:

Perhaps the real question is why is LO locking a file it is trying to delete?
Mick
Oracle Report Builder
Windows 10 Home
eremmel

Post by eremmel »

You might validate the permissions with command line tool cacls.exe:
Open command line tool: cmd.exe and type:
cd "\Program Files (x86)\"
cacls "LibreOffice 5"

I get the following info (I'm running W7 Enterprise SP1):

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files (x86)\LibreOffice 5 
                                     NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller:(ID)F
                                     NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller:(CI)(IO)(ID)F
                                     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(ID)F
                                     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)(IO)(ID)F
                                     BUILTIN\Administrators:(ID)F
                                     BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)(IO)(ID)F
                                     BUILTIN\Users:(ID)R
                                     BUILTIN\Users:(OI)(CI)(IO)(ID)(special access:)
                                                                   GENERIC_READ
                                                                   GENERIC_EXECUTE

CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)(ID)F
You can also change permissions with this tool. But then you have to start cmd.exe in elevated mode (Run as Administrator)

Note that BUILTIN\Users have only Read and Execute rights and not F(ull) rights as the other 4 accounts have.
It's Microsoft marketing that tells you computers are qualified for non-technicians
W11 22H2 (build 22621), LO 7.4.2.3(x64)
GowerMick

Post by GowerMick »

Another program I wasn't aware of (NB it has changed to ICACLS for Windows 10).
I show the output below, but I will need to waste a lot of my time learning what it means :D

Again though, why does LO fail and not other programs? The only permissions given to that folder are what LO gave it during installation. I don't mess around with permissions, therein lies disaster.

ICACLS Output:
LibreOffice 5
NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller:(I)(F)
NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller:(I)(CI)(IO)(F)
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(I)(F)
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(I)(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
BUILTIN\Administrators:(I)(F)
BUILTIN\Administrators:(I)(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
BUILTIN\Users:(I)(RX)
BUILTIN\Users:(I)(OI)(CI)(IO)(GR,GE)
CREATOR OWNER:(I)(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
APPLICATION PACKAGE AUTHORITY\ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES:(I)(RX)
APPLICATION PACKAGE AUTHORITY\ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES:(I)(OI)(CI)(IO)(GR,GE)
APPLICATION PACKAGE AUTHORITY\ALL RESTRICTED APP PACKAGES:(I)(RX)
APPLICATION PACKAGE AUTHORITY\ALL RESTRICTED APP PACKAGES:(I)(OI)(CI)(IO)(GR,GE)
Mick
Oracle Report Builder
Windows 10 Home
eremmel

Post by eremmel »

Those access rights look OK to me. I just updated my LO 5.1.x to LO 5.2.5.1 on my W7E SP1 64bit without any issue. It might be something special to W10.
But testing this and find the cause might take too much time from you and me. I've to learn you a bunch of other nice tools for analyzing, but do you meet the criteria of my signature?
It's Microsoft marketing that tells you computers are qualified for non-technicians
W11 22H2 (build 22621), LO 7.4.2.3(x64)
GowerMick

Post by GowerMick »

I don't quite understand your last statement, but if you mean am I computer literate, I would say yes! My BSc(hons) degree in computer science may be a bit long in the tooth like me, but nowadays I can't be bothered to keep up with the pace of change, especially with Microsoft! :D

I just want a computer and software that can be made to do what I want, not what the likes of Microsoft thinks I want. That is the main reason I use LO, rather than MS Office (IMHO, they went downhill after Office97, which was their best version)
Mick
Oracle Report Builder
Windows 10 Home
GowerMick

Post by GowerMick »

Would you believe it? Install of LO5.2.6.2 failed with same message as before!
I had to restart PC, delete the LibreOffice 5 directory then re-install.

If I had the time and inclination, I might try to find out what is locking the directory, but I don't so I won't :crazy:
Mick
Oracle Report Builder
Windows 10 Home
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Just a conspiracy theory (no more, no less): MS tries to make it as hard as possible for certain products they don't like to run on their systems. And it is much less conspirative to assume that W10 is their system more than yours.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
GowerMick

Post by GowerMick »

Villeroy,
I agree with you to a certain extent, but once installed LO runs fine. As for MS, don't go there! I gave up on Mr Gates a long time ago! :D
Mick
Oracle Report Builder
Windows 10 Home
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You might wish to reflect on why so many of the Forum volunteers have moved to linux distros.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS