[Solved] LibreOffice freezes when save or exporting to pdf

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
mtarzaim

[Solved] LibreOffice freezes when save or exporting to pdf

Post by mtarzaim »

Hi there!

Just signed in to give a solution on an issue which was making me running in circles for months.

Since Windows 10, I couldn't save a file, even a new odt, or export it to pdf.
The dialog box never appeared, or crashed right away.

After several reinstalls, useless fixes and such, I've finally found a solution: going into options->path-> temporary folder -> choose some folders with read-write access like Downloads or Documents.
I could finally save and export without lag, freezes or crashes.
Issue was, probably, windows shortening the folder's name with ~ in the temp folder, which libreoffice couldn't find properly.

Given the number of posts on this subject scattered among the web, I thought it could be useful to share my finding. Hope it helps.
Libreoffice 5.0.6.3 on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Re: LibreOffice freezes when save or exporting to pdf

Post by Bill »

mtarzaim wrote:Issue was, probably, windows shortening the folder's name with ~ in the temp folder, which libreoffice couldn't find properly.
Are you using a custom temp folder with a long folder name? The standard temp folder is simply named "Temp" which isn't long enough to require a short name. Can you verify that the folder name was actually shortened?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
mtarzaim

Re: LibreOffice freezes when save or exporting to pdf

Post by mtarzaim »

For some reasons, it was the user profile name who was shortened.
Since I am in a windows domain, it is "quite" long (username.domainname).

Funny though, choosing "Downloads" as temp folder corrected the previous path, with no shortening at all.
Libreoffice 5.0.6.3 on Windows 10