[Solved] LO5.0 Fatal Error...cannot be started

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
werdigo49

[Solved] LO5.0 Fatal Error...cannot be started

Post by werdigo49 »

I think this thing is totally messed up. I have the LibreOffice_5.0.6.3_Linux_x86_deb files and tried to rename the existing /opt/libreoffice directory to allow reinstallation but that didn't solve the problem. Afraid I'm in over my head. Here is the error message that appears in a box superimposed over the green LibreOffice 5.0 banner as it tries to load:

The application cannot be started. Error while reinstalling all previously deployed packages of context user.

Can anyone help? (I still have 4.4 and tried to use it to open one of my files. I wonder if that's what "previously deployed" means?)

Oh, sorry... Kubuntu 14.04 is the OS.
Last edited by werdigo49 on Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Werdigo49
LibreOffice 5.0.6
Kubuntu Trusty Tahr (14.04)
RusselB

Re: LO5.0 Fatal Error...cannot be started

Post by RusselB »

Best guess in my case, since I don't use Linux, is that some part of LibreOffice was still active in memory when you tried to install the newer version.
In my opinion, unless you know what you are doing, allow LibreOffice to install to the default directory.
If you have an older version that's still installed, the new version should install over top of it.

A Linux user, of which there are many on this forum, may have a better suggestion.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
werdigo49

Post by werdigo49 »

Thank you, Russell. After turning the computer off (power off) and restarting, I was able to run the newly reinstalled LO 5.0.6 programs, and even open my .ods spreadsheet files. Happy man! But after a bit of work on them it came time to save... NO DEAL. General input/output error.

I then created a brand new spreadsheet and saved it (Ctrl-S) successfully during a work process. But when I closed it and tried to reopen it, NO DEAL. LO tried to repair it but could not.

So I'm stuck, at the moment. This is just a travel laptop and I'll be home soon to my main desktop machine but I want to be sure I don't infect it with whatever problem this laptop is having. (It DOES have a small Windows partition, 8.1 which I have been updating in the past couple of days, but that wouldn't affect the big Linux partition, would it? Windows doesn't even see Linux, as I recall.)
--Werdigo49
LibreOffice 5.0.6
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I can't help with exact syntax for LibreOffice, but for OpenOffice I would do this to find where it lives:

in a terminal type "whereis openoffice4" (no quotes). This will tell you where the O.S. thinks OpenOffice lives. Remove the listed folders

Syntax for LibreOffice should be similar.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
werdigo49

Re: LO5.0 Fatal Error...cannot be started -- SOLVED

Post by werdigo49 »

I have edited this thread's subject to "SOLVED" because my reinstalled LibreOffice Calc and Writer programs are opening properly. (I haven't tested Impress, etc.)

The two files that seem to have been the problem still cannot be saved. They can be opened and edited, but trying to save them produces the offer to repair, a report that they cannot be fixed, and "General Error." (I even copied an older version of one of these files from my thumb drive, copied to that from my home computer before I began traveling, so I KNOW that one's good. But... same problem...) Once this happens, NO OTHER DATA FILE can be opened either: They are ALL reported as corrupt, even simple short text files.

After a cold (power off) reboot of the computer (for some reason this Dell laptop will not simply "Restart"), all of the LibreOffice data files (except those two) open fine, can be edited and saved. I can create fresh new files and save them, even with passwords. It seems as if all I have to do is AVOID the two problem files. But that's a subject for a different thread.

Thanks for the help with this, guys! Maybe I'll see you in one of the "locked files" or "General Error" discussions.
--Werdigo49
LibreOffice 5.0.6
Lack Of Love

Re: [Solved] LO5.0 Fatal Error...cannot be started

Post by Lack Of Love »

this happens to me in Back Box Linux (based on Ubuntu) I tried to delete everything, and reinstalled it once again, it always installs it as if it were root owner, I can not install it normally where my user is the owner, I already try to change permissions and owner but it still does not allow me to use it

OpenOffice 5.3.0 Linux
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A quick guess: install at administrator level (using sudo) and select "install for all users". That should get you a working LibreOffice. You can then (if you choose) try to sort out why your earlier install failed.
Lack Of Love

Post by Lack Of Love »

Thankx..
Hello RoryOF
I'm a little confused about it
Could you tell me exactly how the command line is going?
because I tried it on previous occasions at the end I said the same thing and when I saw the properties of the folder said that the owner was (root) and could not directly change pipe to do it by chmod, chgrp, chown.
did the same when installing it from Synaptic Package Manager, and also updated my version of BackBox, and did not serve much
try to install the package directly download the libreoffice page but it is the same problem

I am not so new to linux, although lately I have not used my computer, and I forget some things, try what I remember most and also look in other pages, but I do not understand that this is 4 & 5 and 3 & 4 libreofficeold) because they do not treat it like a bug ???, because it is not a problem of the user, since I can install other packages without problem, and my user is perfectly well configured

in the page of libreoffice does not even appear comment on this error
in linux mint is the same problem https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=117716
OpenOffice 5.3.0 Linux
Lack Of Love

Post by Lack Of Love »

ooooohhhh my god!!!!!

I did something very stupid and it worked, I can not believe it, I could not uninstall it and just delete the directory that is in /home/(YOUR USER)/.config/libreoffice
I wanted to see if the menu icons disappeared and I clicked to see if it said it did not work and delete it, and I run this shit

OpenOffice 5.3.0 Linux
Brenda Jones

Post by Brenda Jones »

Re: (Solved) L05.0 Fatal Error.........I have the same problem and I have not been able to solve it can you help me . I have Windows 7
Open Office 3.3 on windows7
Lack Of Love

Post by Lack Of Love »

Brenda Jones wrote:Re: (Solved) L05.0 Fatal Error.........I have the same problem and I have not been able to solve it can you help me . I have Windows 7
Brenda Jones, check you PM, i give you the real solution, but, i not pos here, is only for you, simply solution linux & windows, no need intall nothin no reinstal no nothing , only a simple action, this forum is wrong, and they just say stupid things that have nothing to do, it's an installation bug but they do not accept it
OpenOffice 5.3.0 Linux
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The prime focus on this forum is OpenOffice; we have no responsibility to report or fix bugs in OpenOffice or LibreOffice; if you think a problem is a bug, then it is up to YOU to report that on the appropriate bug tracking system, complete with documentation and possibly demonstration files.