File disappeared when saved in Microsoft word format

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
pdxvictory

File disappeared when saved in Microsoft word format

Post by pdxvictory »

Opened a .doc file on my Ubuntu computer using Libre Office. It asked me whether to save in microsoft format or open office format. I chose microsoft format. I made 3 hours worth of changes to the document and saved it. I was about to email it to myself when I realized my computer wasn't getting wifi. When this happens I have to restart my computer to get it. So I double checked that I had saved it and then closed it. When I went to restart my computer, I noticed the file wasn't on my desktop. So I stopped and searched my computer trying to find where the file had saved to and was unable to find it. My hidden files are showing. There's no record that the file was ever downloaded or opened on my computer. I'm out of ideas. Is there anything I can do to retrieve this thing or should I never trust/use Libre again? :shock:
LibreOffice 2.0, Ubuntu
Hagar Delest

Re: File disappeared when saved in Microsoft word format

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Had you saved the file in a dedicated folder or just opened from your web browser or from your mail client? It may have been saved in the temp folder and the wiped out after reboot...
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
PCMarc

Re: File disappeared when saved in Microsoft word format

Post by PCMarc »

It's probably like Hagar Delest said. are you sure you had permissions to write the file in specified location, are you using ramdisk? Try to install testdisk and scan your hard disk for the file.
Senior IT Support at PCMarc - Computer repair
using Windows 8.1 x64 with OpenOffice 4.1.1 and Gentoo Linux - openoffice-bin