[Solved] Window Unmaximize Button - Erratic Behaviour

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
2CV67oo

[Solved] Window Unmaximize Button - Erratic Behaviour

Post by 2CV67oo »

I have been using OpenOffice then LibreOffice for years in XP & in Ubuntu.
Currently I am using LibreOffice 3.6.2.2 in Ubuntu 12.10 with Xfce desktop.

Just recently (can't match with anything) I started seeing strange behaviour.

When using the Unmaximize button, instead of reducing the window to its usual small size, the size increases slightly (EDIT - NO - IT STAYS THE SAME SIZE) so that I cannot even use the mouse to drag it any smaller.
The solution is to Alt/Drag the window up & left a bit, then resize with the mouse, then Alt/Drag it back again.

Having had the problem once per day (or per session, but I don't think so) then behaviour is normal afterwards & windows can be maximized & unmaximised OK.

Only LibreOffice has this problem.

I saw a similar problem reported with Windows 7 & the suggestion was to wipe ...registrymodifications.xcu file.

Should I do something like that?
If so - which file & what consequences?

Thanks for all suggestions!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
LibreOffice4.4.2.2 on Ubuntu 15.04.1 & LibreOffice ??? on W8.1 & LibreOffice 3.3.4 on Win7
RoryOF

Re: Window Unmaximize Button - Erratic Behaviour.

Post by RoryOF »

The Unmaximize button is a toggle. If the window is Maximized, it unmaximizes it. If the window is unmaximized, it maximizes it. If the Window is maximized, one cannot adjust its size; Hit the Unmaximise buttoon, and then one can pull the window edges. I doubt that LibO is different from AOO in this respect.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
2CV67oo

Post by 2CV67oo »

Yes, I am familiar with how it should work, after many years of PCs, thanks.

But in this particular case it does not work like that.

I can maximize the window normally, but when I try to unmaximize it, there is then no way of pulling the window edges.
The button icon changes OK to show it is unmaximized.
When I Alt/Drag the window, it stays at about full-screen size until I then pull in the bottom & right edges.

The behaviour is as though the unmaximized size was the same as the maximized size.

But it only happens one time per day/session.

It seems to lose memory of the unmaximized size after shutdown?
LibreOffice4.4.2.2 on Ubuntu 15.04.1 & LibreOffice ??? on W8.1 & LibreOffice 3.3.4 on Win7
2CV67oo

Post by 2CV67oo »

I keep digging into this new problem.

Another aspect is:
If I unmaximize a window (by whatever means), I can then maximize/unmaximize as much as I want with no problem, so long as I don't close the file.
If I quit a file with the window unmaximized, then re-open the file within the same session, it re-opens unmaximized & works OK.
If I quit the file with the window maximized, then re-open the file within the same session, then it re-opens maximized, but when I try to unmaximize - it stays full-size.

My first observation that the unmaximized window was bigger than the normal maximized window was due to the title-bar buttons moving very slightly outward, giving the impression that the window size increased.
None of the rest of the window changes at all though.

Same result with Calc & Draw & Writer.

Not sure what else to try, to pin this down better...
2CV67oo

Post by 2CV67oo »

8 months later & now on LibO 4.1.3.2 with Ubuntu 13.10 & still plagued by the same crazy behaviour.

So long as I remember to unmaximise windows before closing them, I can keep a normal (smaller) size unmaximised window next time.
If ever I close a window from maximised, or open a new document from a Template, then the first time I unmaximise it, the window stays full size, totally filling the screen & I can't get at the edges to resize it, without alt-dragging it up & left first.

This is extremely annoying & I would really like to fix it!

Is the setting for the default size of "unmaximised" stored somewhere I can get at?

Is nobody else seeing this?

No suggestions?

Thanks!
2CV67oo

Post by 2CV67oo »

Well - I have 2 computers with a number of different OS's & different versions of OOo & LibO, so I have just been through all of them to see which ones work OK & which ones don't.

Results:
OK
Desktop - XP - OOo 3.3.0
Netbook - W7 - LibO 3.3.4
Netbook - Ubuntu 12.04.4 Unity - LibO 3.5.7.2

NG
Desktop - Ubuntu 13.10 Xfce - LibO 4.1.3.2
Desktop - Ubuntu 12.04.4 Xfce - LibO 3.5.7.2

Test:
Manually adjust unmaximized window to target size.
Maximise window.
Close window.
Open window.
Unmaximize window.
OK = unmaximized window is target size.
NG = unmaximized window fills screen so can't access edges to resize it manually.

From the results, this may be more of an Xfce problem than a LibO problem?

On my main Desktop - 13.10 - Xfce - 4.1.3.2 setup, I checked all available applications & found:
OK
Firefox
Thunar
Gnome Image Viewer
Terminal
Chromium
Adobe Reader
Image scan
Evince document viewer

NG
LibO (Writer & Calc & Draw)

Intermediate (unmaximizes too big but have available triangle bottom right to resize window)
Thunderbird
Gedit

...so it is not "just" an Xfce problem.

Bugzilla?
oneindelijk

Post by oneindelijk »

Dear Sir,

I have the same problem, but I'm not using any openoffice product.
I do use xfce and the problem you describe happens with all my windows
(well, that's a little bit an overstatement: all application windows...)

I haven't tracked it down as precisely as you did, but I know that the unmaximized state isn't saved over session
(or maybe reset to the maximized size) and I would be happy with a solution,
hopefully my case helps yours...
OpenOffice 5.1 on Ubuntu 16.04
2CV67oo

Post by 2CV67oo »

For other reasons, I replaced my very old PC by a new one.
After a fresh installation of 14.04.1 & using Unity, I no longer have the erratic window behaviour.
All windows unmaximise as expected.

But I shall never know what caused the original problem or what fixed it!

Best of luck with finding a solution... ;)
acknak

Post by acknak »

This seems likely to be a problem in the OO (or LibO) settings profile. I've experienced this problem with OO/AOO, and wiping/refreshing the settings profile fixed it.

See: [Tutorial] The OOo user profile

Re-installing does not refresh the profile, but moving to a new PC might well have, unless you did a full transfer, including "hidden" files.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
2CV67oo

Post by 2CV67oo »

No - I made a clean start, just bringing over my data.

Then I manually copied over my custom toolbars, but nothing else.