[Solved] Restrictions LibreOffice Portable install

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
Tiger-Heli

[Solved] Restrictions LibreOffice Portable install

Post by Tiger-Heli »

This isn't really an issue, but it surprised me, so I thought I would ask about it ...

I normally have my regular programs in "G:\Program Files\". (And used to run LibreOffice Portable from "G:\Program Files\LibreOffice Portable").

I was using an older version of LibreOffice Portable, and set it up on a thumb drive and moved it to that folder and ran it from there - no problems, worked fine.

I upgraded to 3.4.5 and when I tried to over-write the existing file, it told me to select a valid directory, even though I browsed to that one. No problem, I installed it to another folder, deleted the one I had been using and copied the files over. No problem.

Last night, I upgraded to LibreOffice Portable 3.5.5.3 - I again got the message on it not being a valid directory, but this time I didn't want to have to manually re-do all my settings, so I copied the installation to C:\LibreOffice Portable, updated it there and copied it back.

This time, it told me Libreoffice Portable could not launch from this directory as that was for non-portable files.

I moved it to a new folder "G:\Portable Program Files\LibreOffice Portable" and updated my shortcuts to point to it and all is well, but I'm confused on why it cares? I thought the point of a Portable program was that it wouldn't use the registry and could be run from any folder, but apparently not ...

Does anyone know the reason?
Last edited by thomasjk on Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mark thread [Solved] and add green checkmark and edit title to fit.
LibreOffice Portable 3.4.5 on MS Windows XP
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: Restrictions on where LibreOffice Portable can be instal

Post by thomasjk »

I think you will have to ask at http://portableapps.com/. They supply this particular product.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Tiger-Heli

Re: Restrictions on where LibreOffice Portable can be instal

Post by Tiger-Heli »

Thanks - see http://portableapps.com/node/33575#comment-196835 for anyone else who is curious!!!
LibreOffice Portable 3.4.5 on MS Windows XP