[Solved] 3.5: how do I bring text boundaries back?

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.

[Solved] 3.5: how do I bring text boundaries back?

Postby Agilar » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:00 pm

In libreoffice3.5 text boundaries has disappeared. Now there are only _| in all angles. Is it possible to bring visible text boundaries back?

Both workarounds (with boundaries and page background) are genious.
Last edited by Agilar on Tue May 08, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
LibreOffice 4.1.2.3 on Kubuntu 14.04
User avatar
Agilar
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:51 pm

Re: 3.5: how do I bring text boundaies back?

Postby Villeroy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:03 pm

You can't. This is just another "feature" where they introduced a feature for the sake of MS Office mimicry.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 12.04, Apache OpenOffice 4.x
User avatar
Villeroy
Volunteer
 
Posts: 17274
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:35 am
Location: Germany

Re: [Solved] 3.5: how do I bring text boundaries back?

Postby franx » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:45 pm

That's fixed for LibO master in
Bug 46073 - Page Layout Guides (margins, headers, footers) No Longer Visible

You can show the boundaries via View > Nonprinting Characters, Ctrl+F10, ...

Sample
master~2012-02-29_04.21.51_LibO-Dev_3.6.0alpha0_Win_x86_install_en-US.msi
soft_boundaries_ctrl+f10_lo-master_2012-02-29.png

Target: LibreOffice 3.6.0
Release Plan v 3.6.0
.
Last edited by franx on Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LibreOffice 4.0.4 · WinXP
User avatar
franx
Volunteer
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:25 pm
Location: FRA 'n' QXB

Re: [Solved] 3.5: how do I bring text boundaries back?

Postby dreamquartz » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:22 am

I created a border via Format->Page->Borders->Line Arrangments, chosing a full border (2nd from the left), Style: continuous line, Width: 0.05; Color: Grey 10%; Spacing to contents: 0 & Synchronize.
Saved it as my standard template.

This provides me with a border very similar to the border from LO 3.4.5.

Dream
LO 4.2.2.1 on Windows 7 & Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS
dreamquartz
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 4:02 am

Re: [Solved] 3.5: how do I bring text boundaries back?

Postby Bill » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:07 am

dreamquartz wrote:I created a border via Format->Page->Borders->Line Arrangments, chosing a full border (2nd from the left), Style: continuous line, Width: 0.05; Color: Grey 10%; Spacing to contents: 0 & Synchronize.
Saved it as my standard template.

This provides me with a border very similar to the border from LO 3.4.5.

Dream

There's a big difference. Boundaries are formatting aids which only appear on the screen. Borders are part of the document and will be printed when the document is printed.
Bill
 
Posts: 3311
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:48 am

Re: [Solved] 3.5: how do I bring text boundaries back?

Postby dreamquartz » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:39 pm

Bill wrote:
dreamquartz wrote:I created a border via Format->Page->Borders->Line Arrangments, chosing a full border (2nd from the left), Style: continuous line, Width: 0.05; Color: Grey 10%; Spacing to contents: 0 & Synchronize.
Saved it as my standard template.

This provides me with a border very similar to the border from LO 3.4.5.

Dream

There's a big difference. Boundaries are formatting aids which only appear on the screen. Borders are part of the document and will be printed when the document is printed.


You're right.
I was happy with my solution, but did not test it.
The solution given by franx does not work in my situation.

Thx,

Dream
LO 4.2.2.1 on Windows 7 & Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS
dreamquartz
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 4:02 am

Re: [Solved] 3.5: how do I bring text boundaries back?

Postby Ponny » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:33 pm

Mijau

There is another user of LibreOffice 3.5.1 who needs text boundaries. Not very often, but it is useful from time to time.

civ-civ

Ponny
MS Windows XP - SP3: OpenOffice 4.0.1
Mint Linux 13: LibreOffice 3.5.7.2
User avatar
Ponny
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:34 pm
Location: Mystical Kingdom of Krakovo

Re: [Solved] 3.5: how do I bring text boundaries back?

Postby PeaceByJesus » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:08 am

I am another appreciative user of OpenOffice and LibreOffice, but who finds the lack of the Text boundaries detrimental and unnecessary, and having it was one of the positive attributes over MS Office, which needs not to be copied in this case.

Like dreamquartz, went the border route, but as said, that will result in it being printed, while all the hundreds of text documents we have will open up with the text boundaries being visible. I suppose some consider this an enhancement, but I think you will have many more seeking for a way to restore this feature. I will mainly stick with OOo 3.3.0 for now (I run both). Thanks for listening.
OOo 4.0.0 W/8 PC, AMD 6350 cpu; 8gb. Praise the Lord.
PeaceByJesus
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:38 pm

Re: [Solved] 3.5: how do I bring text boundaries back?

Postby Bill » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:23 am

PeaceByJesus wrote:I am another appreciative user of OpenOffice and LibreOffice, but who finds the lack of the Text boundaries detrimental and unnecessary, and having it was one of the positive attributes over MS Office, which needs not to be copied in this case.

If they're copying MSO, they must be copying a very old version. Word 2000 displays both text boundaries as in OOo and crop marks as in LO. Word 2010 has separate options to display both text boundaries and crop marks.
Bill
 
Posts: 3311
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:48 am

Re: [Solved] 3.5: how do I bring text boundaries back?

Postby franx » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:40 am

You might try this simple workaround:

Apply a background color for the page style.
For printing: disable Contents > Page background.

page_style_background_color.png
LibreOffice 4.0.4 · WinXP
User avatar
franx
Volunteer
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:25 pm
Location: FRA 'n' QXB

Re: [Solved] 3.5: how do I bring text boundaries back?

Postby PeaceByJesus » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:33 pm

Bill wrote:
PeaceByJesus wrote:I am another appreciative user of OpenOffice and LibreOffice, but who finds the lack of the Text boundaries detrimental and unnecessary, and having it was one of the positive attributes over MS Office, which needs not to be copied in this case.

If they're copying MSO, they must be copying a very old version. Word 2000 displays both text boundaries as in OOo and crop marks as in LO. Word 2010 has separate options to display both text boundaries and crop marks.


Sorry. I never had MSO, and only have MS Word and find no page borders when using it, and saw in another post about Lo doing this for the "sake of MS Office mimicry," and assumed that was the case with it as well. Thanks for the correction.
OOo 4.0.0 W/8 PC, AMD 6350 cpu; 8gb. Praise the Lord.
PeaceByJesus
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:38 pm

Re: [Solved] 3.5: how do I bring text boundaries back?

Postby PeaceByJesus » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:42 pm

[quote="franx"]You might try this simple workaround:

Apply a background color for the page style.
For printing: disable Contents > Page background.

Thanks. I also think there is likely a file someplace in LibreOffice\3\user\config that could be overwritten by the previous version, but this issue is only a preference and a change we can get used to.
OOo 4.0.0 W/8 PC, AMD 6350 cpu; 8gb. Praise the Lord.
PeaceByJesus
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:38 pm

Re: [Solved] 3.5: how do I bring text boundaries back?

Postby Bill » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:57 pm

PeaceByJesus wrote:
Bill wrote:
PeaceByJesus wrote:I am another appreciative user of OpenOffice and LibreOffice, but who finds the lack of the Text boundaries detrimental and unnecessary, and having it was one of the positive attributes over MS Office, which needs not to be copied in this case.

If they're copying MSO, they must be copying a very old version. Word 2000 displays both text boundaries as in OOo and crop marks as in LO. Word 2010 has separate options to display both text boundaries and crop marks.


Sorry. I never had MSO, and only have MS Word and find no page borders when using it,...

Perhaps you were using "Normal" view which doesn't show pages. Word shows text boundaries only in "Print layout" view which does show pages.
Bill
 
Posts: 3311
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:48 am

Re: [Solved] 3.5: how do I bring text boundaries back?

Postby PeaceByJesus » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:07 pm

Belated thanks!
OOo 4.0.0 W/8 PC, AMD 6350 cpu; 8gb. Praise the Lord.
PeaceByJesus
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:38 pm

Re: [Solved] 3.5: how do I bring text boundaries back?

Postby Ponny » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:14 pm

Meow

I have LibreOffice 4.0.2.2 (Windows XP SP3) from today.

I wish to see text boundaries. Full lines and not just corner signs.
But without nonprinting characters visible.
I can get visible borderlines only if I turn on nonprinting characters.


Ponny
MS Windows XP - SP3: OpenOffice 4.0.1
Mint Linux 13: LibreOffice 3.5.7.2
User avatar
Ponny
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:34 pm
Location: Mystical Kingdom of Krakovo

Re: [Solved] 3.5: how do I bring text boundaries back?

Postby Bill » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:03 pm

Ponny wrote:I wish to see text boundaries. Full lines and not just corner signs.
But without nonprinting characters visible.

You'll need AOO or an old version of LO to do that.
AOO 4.0.1 on 64-bit Windows 8.1
Bill
 
Posts: 3311
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:48 am

Re: [Solved] 3.5: how do I bring text boundaries back?

Postby melvinbrand » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:53 am

Hey, I was being an Open Source Fanboy and trying to switch to LibreOffice, but I'm sticking with OpenOffice because REAL TEXT boundaries make like very visually-pleasing for a guy who does nothing but layout book pages for his friends as a volunteer. When I retired, I decided to help my friends who were making tiny poetry books to give to their friends. There was almost no money to be made, and almost always money to be lost, so I was not doing it for the cash. However, since they already typed the text, I was not so much worried about having a text tool, but more interested in headers, footers, margins, page size. And OpenOffice Text Boundaries make all that simple to see and makes me aware of when I've accidentally made a mistake. Just the other day I was doing the same stuff in LibreOffice, just for a change of pace, but I noticed that if I had not looked closer, I would have missed the fact that I did one return too many or deleted one line too many, because, especially when you're using headers and footers, you could really roll stuff over to the wrong page or not roll it back enough with the text boundaries in LibreOffice being almost invisible. So, folks, Open Source ideology takes a back seat to productivity. I mean, OpenOffice can slow me up a bit, but it's free enough, that is, not yet being charged hard money for, so that will have to be close enough to OpenSource; so I have to modify my doctrine to free of charge or open source, since I'm not going to switch to LibreOffice if they really insist on theose weak text boundaries. I'm laying out people's books, and even if they loose money on those books, they take a great deal of pride in them; and I don't want any mistakes due to not being able to see the boundaries clearly. (Plus my vision is a bit blurry already.)
OpenOffice 4, Mac 0S 10.6
melvinbrand
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:43 am


Return to LibreOffice

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests