Migrating LibreOffice settings to a new installation

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
DeathAndPain

Migrating LibreOffice settings to a new installation

Post by DeathAndPain »

Hello everyone,

I have reinstalled Windows and want to keep all my LibreOffice 3.4.4 settings (including tool bar configuration etc.). My first idea was to simply copy the folder E:\Users\dummy\AppData\Roaming\LibreOffice into the correspoding directory of the new user (replacing it), but this does not work: LibreOffice crashes upon start when I do. Chances are this is because I installed LibreOffice into a different path than the one I used to in my old Windows installation.

Since I cannot replace the whole directory, perhaps I can at least transfer parts of it, no? I already managed to successfully transfer my personal autocorrect dictionary. I would also like to transfer the general option preferences though, and especially my customized toolbars. How can I achieve that? In which files are these stored?
LibreOffice 3.4.4 on Windows 7 x64
Hagar Delest

Re: Migrating LibreOffice settings to a new installation

Post by Hagar Delest »

Yes, keep the former profile and try to move parts of it until you spot the file that has problems.
To avoid recreating a new profile, make a copy of it too. Make sure that the quickstarter is deactivated before copying it, it will spare the wizard when you make a trial after moving former files.

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
DeathAndPain

Post by DeathAndPain »

Does any one know exactly in which files the toolbar settings are stored? These are the most important part for me. Setting up the regular options can be done manually .
LibreOffice 3.4.4 on Windows 7 x64
franx
Volunteer

Post by franx »

DeathAndPain wrote:Does any one know exactly in which files the toolbar settings are stored? These are the most important part for me. Setting up the regular options can be done manually .
That are the *.xml files in the directory 'soffice.cfg'.
[Path: ...\LibreOffice\3\user\config\soffice.cfg\...]
LibreOffice 4.0.4 · WinXP
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

See also [Solved] Move Toolbar between applications.

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
PeaceByJesus

Post by PeaceByJesus »

Hagar Delest wrote:Yes, keep the former profile and try to move parts of it until you spot the file that has problems.
To avoid recreating a new profile, make a copy of it too. Make sure that the quickstarter is deactivated before copying it, it will spare the wizard when you make a trial after moving former files.

I know this is an old post, but it shows up as a top search result for openoffice migarate toolbars, so I would like to be helpful by adding more info. The profile for Apache OpenOffice can be quickly found in Windows by pasting this address in the Run command box (hold down the Windows key on your keyboard - in the left hand corner with the image on it - and tap the "r" key and let both go): %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\ For LibreOffice it is: %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\LibreOffice\4

For future versions (God willing) you may have to change the last digit to 5 or whatever version that is.

Toolbars for Writer are found in %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\config\soffice.cfg\modules\swriter\toolbar

Custom colors are %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\config\standard.soc

Dictionaries are in %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\wordbook

Note that unlike Toolbars, which ought to be able to be saved from within the program, keyboard configurations(custom hot keys, etc.) can be saved via right click on the end of the toolbar in your Office document window, and choosing Customize Toolbar>Keyboard and then hitting Save. Then in a new profile you can go to Customize Toolbar>Keyboard and hit Load. For instance, I configure the F2 key to do Paste Special, and the F9 to bold text, etc. and then save that configuration.

Hope this helps more.
Last edited by PeaceByJesus on Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 3 3200G CPU; 64GB RAM
Grace and peace thru Jesus the Lord. peacebyjesus.net (pages created in Open office)
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

DeathAndPain wrote:Does any one know exactly in which files the toolbar settings are stored?
I think in ...\user\registrymodifications.xcu but possibly in ...\user\config.

Put the user profile (...\user) you copied fro the old PC in the path specified in Tool > Options >OpenOffice > Paths on the new PC.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Attachments
Clipboard01.png
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
PeaceByJesus

Post by PeaceByJesus »

The registrymodifications.xcu file in %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user \user\ does store the settings. I hope to try this next time I migrate. Copying a toolbar such as in %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\config\soffice.cfg\modules\swriter\toolbar to another profile works fine to migrate them, as I did from AOo to LOo. Thank God for those coders!
Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 3 3200G CPU; 64GB RAM
Grace and peace thru Jesus the Lord. peacebyjesus.net (pages created in Open office)