LibreOffice Writer 3.3

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
newtolinux99999

LibreOffice Writer 3.3

Post by newtolinux99999 »

I am running Ubuntu Linux 11.04 with LibreOffice 3.3 . I have had no issues with saving files and opening them in .rtf format until today. I tried to change the format to .odt, but then realized Linux does not use file extensions like Microsoft and this did not resolve the issue anyways. I am new to Linux and am trying to get the document to open. Every time I try to open the document with LibreOffice Writer (I have also tried viewing with different ways, including uploading file online and emailing to other people), I get an error message "General Error: Input Output Error" and the document will not load. This issue just started today as I was able to view the file last night just fine. I have not installed any new software and have tried un-installing LibreOffice and re-installing, but no resolution. Any help or ideas are appreciated. Thanks.
Ubuntu 11.04 and LibreOffice 3.3
RGB

Re: LibreOffice Writer 3.3

Post by RGB »

For the input/output error, try to restart your LibO's user profile.
About the file extension: Linux do no care about file extensions but about file content. File extensions on Linux are more for the user and as a matter of fact you can have files without file extensions and work with them without problems.
Note: changing .rtf by .odt on the file name will not change the file type (and this is independent from the operative system), but opening the rtf file and doing a "Save as" will change it if you select odt format on the corresponding menu.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
newtolinux99999

Post by newtolinux99999 »

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, resetting the user profile did not work. Any other ideas as to what may be the cause? It is only this file I am having trouble opening. I have been able to open all other documents I have with no issues. Thanks.
Ubuntu 11.04 and LibreOffice 3.3
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

If you remove the extension, what Linux tells you about the file?
If it doesn't recognize the file, then it's not rally good.

Else, can you upload it (see How to attach a document here)?

note that the RTF support is rather poor in OOo. A major improvement had been scheduled for LibO, but it's definitively not in 3.3.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

When you Save As, have you "automatic file name extension" box checked?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS