[Solved] Removing Dictionaries

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
John99

[Solved] Removing Dictionaries

Post by John99 »

I note my LO has many dictionaries / spellcheckers listed in the Extension manager. These include a padlock icon, and do not have a remove option when selected. What does the padlock indicate ?
(are these files part of the original installation ? )

If I use Tools -> Options -> Language Settings I note I have more than one language with a tick against it.
  • is there any need to remove the unused dictionaries that are unlikely to be used,
    • will it benefit the system at all ? (other than saving a small amount of space used by the files) My Open Office shows only a handful of languages, whereas LO has an extensive listing, many of which I am unlikely ever to use.
    • what is the procedure for removing these additional dictionaries ?
  • what is happening with the multiple dictionaries,
    • is LO using each in turn to spell check a document, normally that is pointless, nearly everything is input in a single language.
    • if applicable what is the procedure for disabling the additional dictionary languages that are showing the tick/check mark
Last edited by John99 on Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
LibreOffice 3.3 OOo 3.3 on Windows XP
RGB

Re: Removing Dictionaries

Post by RGB »

LibO comes with lots of preinstalled dictionaries. The padlock means that you need administrator privileges to uninstal them.
If you configure the language document the proper way you do not need to worry about those extra dictionaries: LibO will not use them. But if you want to erase those extra dictionaries just start LibO as administrator and then use the extension manager (no idea how you can do that on your system: AFAIK, sudo do not work on windows... :lol: )
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

Sunday, July 03, 2011

Instructions for dealing with this situation are found here:

http://en.libreofficeforum.org/node/49

Since your extensions are showing themselves as locked and you are using XP, the profile you are using is not designated as administrator. You will need to log into an administrator profile to make the changes.

Phil
OpenOffice.org 3.2.x, StarOffice 5.1, 7, 8 - OS X, WinXP, OS/2
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
NeoOffice 2.2.6, 3.1.2, 3.2.x 3.3 - OS X
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.x - WinXP, OS X, OS/2
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

See also here in the tutorial.

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John99

Post by John99 »

Thanks for the replies, I have not had time to follow the advice yet, I am definitely using an administrative level account.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Installation of dictionaries is optional when installing LO, but those that are installed can not be removed using the Extension Manager:

[Solved] How to Remove Extensions with a "padlock icon"?
John99

Post by John99 »

RGB wrote:LibO comes with lots of preinstalled dictionaries. The padlock means that you need administrator privileges to uninstal them.
If you configure the language document the proper way you do not need to worry about those extra dictionaries: LibO will not use them. But if you want to erase those extra dictionaries just start LibO as administrator and then use the extension manager (no idea how you can do that on your system: AFAIK, sudo do not work on windows... :lol: )
  • yes it was the pre-installed dictionaries I was talking about, and I seemed to have had many active apparently by default
  • Link - the specific link did not seem to give details of the 'proper way'
    it did however confirm my intuitive feeling many dictionaries could impact performance
  • using extension manager from the administrator account that I used to instal LO: still showed padlocks and would not allow me to erase those dics
    • sudo = runasIn Windows XP to use an admin account/permission)
    • sign in to an appropriate account or
    • use 'Run as' from a right click or from a Run commandline use 'runas' or
    • use THE Administrator account (Hidden in some OEM HomeEdition OS unless booted in 'safe mode' )
    • later editions of Widows users may have to contend also with UAC [User Account Control] settings
John99

Post by John99 »

Bill wrote:Installation of dictionaries is optional when installing LO, but those that are installed can not be removed using the Extension Manager:

[Solved] How to Remove Extensions with a "padlock icon"?
:D Thanks that was a useful thread, with further links to the [tutorial]Spell check and Language configuration series by Hagar and it worked :D

Initially I tried renaming the dic folders within the program directory folder /extensions , I hoped that would work, but it resulted in the spell checker options still being visible, although I think it did disable them. So next I did as the instructions said and after copying everything actually deleted them from the /extensions folder. That did work. It gives me an easy regression route if required. I also note there is a method for removing them on a per user basis by modifying the profile file configmgr.ini but I have not tried that as yet.

Thanks for all the replies, I will now edit this to tag as solved, John