[Solved] Upgrading to new versions

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
canadianwriterman

[Solved] Upgrading to new versions

Post by canadianwriterman »

I've removed the Ubuntu version of LO from my Ubuntu 11.04 and installed version 3.4.0 from the LO website to get the latest version. Is there any way to auto update to newer versions? I know there is an Ubuntu PPA, but it does not include the newest versions. Also, if it need to download each new version, can it be installed on top of the existing version or do I always need to remove the old version? Thanks for your help.
Last edited by canadianwriterman on Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
LibreOffice 3.4.0 on Ubuntu 11.04.
Hagar Delest

Re: Upgrading to new versions

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Once you've installed the vanilla version (my preferred method), you don't have to remove the former version to install a new one. The package manager (dpkg) will take care of that.

I don't think there is a way to auto-update if you don't use a repository. But since the PPA is not official, perhaps they will push the new versions.

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Re: Upgrading to new versions

Post by DrewJensen »

Hagar is correct - at present there is no auto-update available for the Vanilla version.

His upgrade instructions are also correct.
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
canadianwriterman

Re: [SOLVED] Upgrading to new versions

Post by canadianwriterman »

Thanks for your replies Hagar and Drew.
LibreOffice 3.4.0 on Ubuntu 11.04.