My first .ods that can not work with OOo [bug 37947]

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
Villeroy
Volunteer

My first .ods that can not work with OOo [bug 37947]

Post by Villeroy »

LibreOffice introduced named ranges on sheet level.
"MyNamed" can refer to some range when used in one sheet but the same name may refer to a different range (or nothing) when used in another sheet.

When OOo and LibreOffice 3.3 encounter such a naming scheme in some .xls document, these names are translated to document-wide names with the sheet name as prefix: Sheet1_MyNamed, Sheet2_MyNamed so the calculation model keeps on working. When an .ods file containts this naming scheme, the names are invalid and give a #NAME error.

I don't know if the developers care about OOo compatibility or even ODF compliance. I filed https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=37947 because of the sloppy implementation. The issue includes an attachment. https://bugs.freedesktop.org/attachment.cgi?id=47551
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
JohnV
Volunteer

Re: My first .ods that can not work with OOo [bug 37947]

Post by JohnV »

I don't know if the developers care about OOo compatibility of even ODF compliance.
Interest thought. Do you know whether this is in fact not in compliance with ODF specifications. Although this is sort of implied by the fact that OOo can't handle it, it could also be a shortcoming of OOo.

In my opinion, varying from those specs. would be a bad mistake.
B Marcelly
Volunteer

Post by B Marcelly »

I have seen an OOo bug report about the same problem
http://openoffice.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=118037
I understand that even if two implementations are ODF compliant, they may not be able to understand documents created by the other side :roll:
Bernard

OpenOffice.org 1.1.5 / Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 / LibreOffice 5.0.5
MS-Windows 7 Home SP1
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

It could be a valid feature waiting for implementation. In my copy of the ODF documentation (version 1.1 as of Feb. 2007) I can not see if the XML tag <table:named-range> belongs to the document exclusively or not. It took me no more than 5 minutes to find out how badly this new feature had been implemented. If it turns out to be a standard breaking non-feature this would be a devastating outlook on LibreOffice being just another office suite producing other proprietary document formats.
I have seen an OOo bug report about the same problem
I have seen the other one and limited my bug report on the bad implementation (destruction of named range on reload).
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
acknak

Post by acknak »

OOo definitely does not implement every feature included in ODF.

I don't see why this should render a .ods document unreadable; the change is in the formula text, not the xml, no?

The OpenFormula spec says this:
4.11 Named Expressions
Evaluators may support Sheet-local Named Expressions that are local (attached) to individual sheets. In that case, a non-empty QuotedSheetName can be used to reference a sheet-specific named expression. The most specific named expression for a given expression is used. If the QuotedSheetName is empty, the search for the named expression begins with the current sheet, then up through the container(s) of the sheet (the same is true if the QuotedSheetName rule fragment is not included at all). If there is a non-empty QuotedSheetName, search begins with that named sheet, then up through its container(s) for the given name.
As far as I understand it, the LibO model is that the most recent version is always a beta, and bugs--especially in new features--are to be expected.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Thank you for the clarification. To me it was not obvious to look up the formula spec.