Adding 1000s of new sheets in error

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
cul

Adding 1000s of new sheets in error

Post by cul »

I have a spreadsheet with approx 400 sheets/pages. I paste in a new sheet probably 2-3 times a week. Occasionally when I copy work from another spreadsheet into the master spreadsheet it causes calc to attempt to create 1000s of new pages of sheet (and locks up until it finishes from the effort)

Typically I've copied approx 8 columns and 50 rows (ctrl+c) and I click back to the master spreadsheet, hit the + sign at the bottom of the calc page to create a new sheet and then hit ctrl+v to paste. It then launches the 5000 sheets and I have to wait 30mins for it to finish and then delete them all again.

What am I doing wrong specifically? Is it that I'm still holding down ctrl when I hit the plus sign or something? What part of what I'm doing could cause this error?

:crazy:
LibreOffice on Windows 7 (sometimes Mac)
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Adding 1000s of new sheets in error

Post by John_Ha »

cul wrote:What am I doing wrong specifically? Is it that I'm still holding down ctrl when I hit the plus sign or something? What part of what I'm doing could cause this error?
Do some tests with and without holding down ctrl and see what happens.

Apart from that what you are doing sounds fine.

One thing to try is to create a new, empty spreadsheet. Now copy the entire spreadsheet and paste it in. Heavily edited text documents get "tangled" and this often clears the "tangles" - spreadsheets may do the same.

I don't know of any limits but 400 sheets sounds pretty large. It may be sensible to split it into two spreadsheets or combine sheets to cut their number if possible. Or to consider a database if appropriate.
 Edit: On a new, empty spreadsheet holding down + creates new sheets until 600 are created and LO then gets stuck in a loop and is unresponsive for a minute or longer until 1,688 sheets have been created. If I then single click + LO loops again creating 2,016 sheets. If I then single click + LO loops again until 2,598 sheets are created. The number of sheets created is probably PC dependent.

If I single click + from, say, 550 sheets, I can create more than 600 sheets.

I therefore suspect it is a bug manifesting itself at large sheet counts and exacerbated by holding down + too long.

Further testing shows that holding down + is OK at low page counts and sheet creation stops when it is released. If I then single click even at high page counts (670+), it correctly adds only one sheet. But at high page counts (670) holding down + causes it to loop. Multiple clicks close together also causes it to loop.

Submit a bug report. 
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.