[Solved] OpenOffice vs. LibreOffice Writer

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
kentraco

[Solved] OpenOffice vs. LibreOffice Writer

Post by kentraco »

I used OpenOffice for several years before recently switching my OS from Windows 7 to the Zorian Linux distribution and picking up LibreOffice in the process.

As a freelance writer and editor, I need to move text around quite a bit and often copy and paste research information from web sites to a document I'm creating. That was never an issue with OpenOffice,
but copying and pasting in LIbreOffice is a real pain. It rarely works on the first attempt, so I have to undo the command and try again. That's distracting and time-consuming.

I've seen reference online to this having being a glitch in LibreOffice for years with no solution in sight.

Can I expect OpenOffice for Linux to function as well as the version I used with Windows and not present any problems?
Last edited by kentraco on Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Libreoffice 6.3.1.2 on Linux Zorian 15.1
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: OpenOffice vs. LibreOffice Writer

Post by Zizi64 »

It is not a good idea to paste formatted texts from a foreign source into an ODF document (The ODF the native file format of the AOO and the LO)

Use the "Paste as unformatted text" option, and format the text by usage the Styles.

The Styles are the most valuable feature of the AOO and the LO.

Otherwise you can install AOO onto a Linux machine if you prefer the AOO.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
kentraco

Re: OpenOffice vs. LibreOffice Writer

Post by kentraco »

Yes, the "Paste as unformatted text" option appears to solve the problem.

Thanks for the quick response.
Libreoffice 6.3.1.2 on Linux Zorian 15.1