What could cause LO to render font poorly on screen only?

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
prr

What could cause LO to render font poorly on screen only?

Post by prr »

I just installed a font that I like very much, Libertinus (both serif & sans serif versions).

I just noticed a bug that isn't a showstopper for me, but still, makes me curious what is going on. If I could at least get an explanation as to why this is occuring, at least it would be educational for me, even if it is never taken care of.

When LO (6.0.6.2) and AOO (4.1.6) display a document (ODT) written in Libertinus font, the letter /t/ is displayed in a somewhat slanted fashion. This is strange, because every other letter is displayed properly. FWIW, this morning I updated my graphics driver & rebooted, so it can't be that. What is even more strange in my mind, is that when I have LO save the file to a PDF, the /t/ is rendered properly. The first screenshot is the text being displayed by LO from the ODT file; the second is when that same file has been saved as a PDF.

Like I said, this is hardly anything that would make me stop using LO. I just think its curious and would like to find out why it would be goofed up when showing the document on my laptop, but would still be rendered as a PDF, the proper way.

My comments below, refer to the pic above the comments.
Attachments
This is the font when rendered in the ODT file
This is the font when rendered in the ODT file
This is the same font when saved as a PDF, from that same ODT file
This is the same font when saved as a PDF, from that same ODT file
LO 7.1.6.2 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: What could cause LO to render font poorly on screen only

Post by RusselB »

It's difficult to make accurate suggestions when working from just a screen shot.
Can you upload copies of both the .odt and the .pdf files? If there is confidential information, maybe make a new dummy .odt file using the same font and create a .pdf from that, then upload the dummy files.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
prr

Post by prr »

Fair enough, the actual file was too big for the size limit for this forum (128 kb), so I uploaded it externally:
ODT here: https://docdro.id/EqggNoZ

PDF here: https://docdro.id/MrOh5E5
LO 7.1.6.2 on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I don't see this distortion with LO 6.3.4.2.0 or AOO 4.1.7 on Manjaro with the Libertinus font installed. Check your monitor settings. I recall years ago on an old monitor a setting for "videos" that would cause problems with the font display.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04