Cannot save LibreOffice documents to document folder

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
ldxrunner

Cannot save LibreOffice documents to document folder

Post by ldxrunner »

I have Windows 10 with 64--bit. I have LibreOffice version 7.2.O.4. I have been unable to save LibreOffice documents to the document folder. I have LibreOffice visible in the desktop. Furthermore, I do not have LibreOffice visible in task manager. All documents are showing up as Microsoft Edge PDF or PDFX. How can I correct this ? Thank you.
Open Office vesion 4.1.0 Windows 7 64--bit
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Cannot save Libre Office documents to document folder

Post by Zizi64 »

I have been unable to save LibreOffice documents to the document folder.
I have LibreOffice visible in the desktop. Furthermore, I do not have LibreOffice visible in task manager.
All documents are showing up as Microsoft Edge PDF or PDFX. How can I correct this ?
These are three different problem. Please ask one question in one topic.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I have been unable to save LibreOffice documents to the document folder.
It seems to be a problem in the settings (rights) of your Virus/Malware protection software.
There are many similar topic in this forum.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I have LibreOffice visible in the desktop. Furthermore, I do not have LibreOffice visible in task manager.
Beacause the name of the executable is soffice.bin. (The name (probably) was inherited from the StarOffice.) There is not Calc.exe, Writer.Exe, nor LibreOffice.exe in the Task manager.

The LibreOffice is an integrated office suite. Same soffice.bin runs as Writer, as Calc (as etc...) - but with different settings.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

All documents are showing up as Microsoft Edge PDF or PDFX. How can I correct this ?
Which type of documents do you mean? You can assign the MS documents file extensions to the LibreOffice during the installation (choose custom Install, and set it manually) or after that: in the settings of the operating system.
The international Standard ODF file formats (.odt, .ods, ...) will be assigned to the LibreOffice automatically during the installation by default.
ldxrunner

Re: Cannot save LibreOffice documents to document folder

Post by ldxrunner »

Thank you to those who responded.

I have on this pc >>> local disk(C:) ... program files (x86) ... OpenOffice 4 >>. program >>> soffice.bin (next to Mozilla Firefox icon ) Of all the programs, this

is the only one like that I think that is the problem. Is that correct ? Hos do I change the icon ?

I have on this pc >>>local disk (C:) ... program files >>> LibreOffice >>> program >>> soffice (next to Mozilla Firefox icon) .bin BIN file 788 KB. Of all the

programs listed, this is the only one like that. I think that is the problem, is that correct ? How do I change the icon ?

When I type My computer in the search box. i see My computer >>> local disk >>> program files >>> folders >>> LibreOffice

But I do not see OpenOffice listed. Why is that ?

Under Settings >>> Windows Security >>> Virus and threat protection >>> Ransomware protection >>> Controlled folder access is off.

I am only interested in saving documents that I have created in Open Office or LibreOffice.

Thank you.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

When I type My computer in the search box. i see My computer >>> local disk >>> program files >>> folders >>> LibreOffice

But I do not see OpenOffice listed. Why is that ?
Because the AOO is a 32 bit software. It is located in the 'program files (x86)' directory. The LibreOffice has 32 and 64 bit versions, and you probably have installed the 64 bit version.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Why you want to change the icon of the soffice.bin? It is a "core executable"; it is not the Writer it is not the Calc - it will be Writer or Calc together the proper settings, what will be activated by the launcher .exe-s: swriter.exe, scalc.exe, sdraw exe, sbase.exe, smath.exe. impress.exe.
Note: these .exe files are only launchers. The main (integrated) program is located in the soffice.bin file what will be started by the launcrers.
ldxrunner

Post by ldxrunner »

How can I correct the problem of not saving documents to Open Office and LibreOffice ? Can I get some specific information, rather than vague information ? I am a novice, concerning software. Thank you
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Try to save a sample document from the LibreOffice into a directory where you have write rights. (for example : onto a secondary HDD, or onto a thumbdrive)
If it works, then try to set the write rights of the document folder in your security softwares and/or in the operating system.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Did you read the tutorial where it is fully explained?
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
ldxrunner

Post by ldxrunner »

I typed a test document in Liber Office writer on an external hard drive, saved it in .odt. The document on the external hard drive was saved as PDF X. How can I correct this ? Thank you
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I typed a test document in Liber Office writer on an external hard drive, saved it in .odt. The document on the external hard drive was saved as PDF X. How can I correct this ? Thank you

Open Office --> OpenOffice
Liber Office --> LibreOffice

How you tested the result file on the external hard drive?

Which menu item or toolbar icon of the LibreOffice you have used for the saving procedure? (maybe you exorted but not saved the file)

How you have checked the filename extension? In the File Explorer? Or you tried to open it by clicking on the appeared icon in the File explorer?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

ldxrunner wrote:I typed a test document in Liber Office writer on an external hard drive, saved it in .odt. The document on the external hard drive was saved as PDF X. How can I correct this ? Thank you
How did you select the Format in which to Dave? This must be done in /File /Save As, and selecting the format by using the dropdown beside "File type". It is good to have "Automatic file name extension" checked, so that he correct extension will be added to the file name.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

ldxrunner wrote:I typed a test document in Liber Office writer on an external hard drive, saved it in .odt. The document on the external hard drive was saved as PDF X. How can I correct this ? Thank you
Please upload a screen shot that shows why you think the document was "saved as PDF X". I suspect that you're misinterpreting something in File Explorer, but that's only a guess.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
ldxrunner

Post by ldxrunner »

While I work on what has been recommended. What caused this to happen ? Thank you.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

ldxrunner wrote:While I work on what has been recommended. What caused this to happen ? Thank you.
I don't know yet "what happened", so I can't tell you what caused it. Please upload the screen shot I asked for.
ldxrunner wrote:All documents are showing up as Microsoft Edge PDF or PDFX.
What does "showing up as" mean? If you provide the screen shot I asked for, I might be able to figure it out, but without it, you will have to explain it.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04