Base Home Inventory Template

Some examples to be used directly
Forum rules
No question in this section please
For any question related to a topic, create a new thread in the relevant section.
Prismatist

Base Home Inventory Template

Post by Prismatist »

I just spent several hours creating a Home Inventory database because I couldn't find a pre-made one, and now I would like to share my effort with the world. Since there seems to be no infrastructure in place for creating or sharing templates in Base, I will just upload it here. Can anyone tell me why Base templates don't exist?
Attachments
Home Inventory Master.odb
See the instructions in the Forms section before trying to use it.
(54.54 KiB) Downloaded 10207 times
Openoffice 3.4 on OSX 10.6
eremmel

Re: Base Home Inventory Template

Post by eremmel »

Consider the phrase general template. In respect to Impress, Writer it controls the presentation layer and not the content. An user might generate from a general template, personal templates with e.g. fixed text sections, but those are harder to reuse for others.

In respect to Base, having a document with an embedded database it looks more like an 'personal template'. I'm not sure if you can have a Base document as a general template with a pure presentation layer.

Further it is not handsome to work with Base documents based on the embedded database: too error prone. So someone has to do quite some effort to migrate an example database as you delivered to a Base document with external database.

Also note that Base contains a large number of template tables to make a quick start.

So I tend to call your Home Inventory Master more an (impressive) example than a template.

But lets see what others think about this.
It's Microsoft marketing that tells you computers are qualified for non-technicians
W11 22H2 (build 22621), LO 7.4.2.3(x64)