Images suddenly not showing anymore

Discuss the presentation application
Henringe

Images suddenly not showing anymore

Post by Henringe »

Good evening everyone,

I have been working on a presentation for a few weeks now, without having any problems. Then suddenly today the images in the presentation doesn't show anymore! 2 hours ago it was just fine, now only the images on the last few slides I made shows.

Tried searching for a solution in the Help section in OpenOffice Impress, which said this:
"If the Graphics On/Off icon on the Tools bar is activated, no graphics are displayed - only empty frames as placeholders."
However, I can not find this "Graphics On/Off icon" anywhere...

A bit more info:
- Always use "Insert - Picture - From File" when adding images to the presentation
- Haven't moved or deleted any of the saved images on my computer
- Where the images should be, there is now an empty frame with just a box with the red, blue and yellow symbol inside, followed by 3 red dots
- And I repeat: everything was working just fine earlier!

I really hope someone knows how to fix this, as there is less than 40 hours left until it has to be handed in.

Please, please help me?
OpenOffice 4.0.1 on Windows 10
FJCC

Re: Images suddenly not showing anymore - Please help!

Post by FJCC »

Try going to the menu Tools -> Options and expand the OpenOffice list on the left. Choose Memory. Try increasing the memory Graphics Cache -> Use for OpenOffice and also Cache for inserted objects -> Number of Objects.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Henringe

Post by Henringe »

Thank you for answering.

Tried increasing both all the way up to 100, but it made no difference. The images still won't show.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

1.: Are your pictures linked or are they embedded? - maybe you deleted/removed/replaced the linked pictures on your HDD what was linked only.

2.: What file type of the pictures are you using? Never use .bmp type pictures. Prefer the .jpg and the .png (compressed) types.

3.: Always optimize the pictures (with a third party image manage software) before you embed them into an ODF document. Do not use huge file size pictures. You need optimize the physical size, the pixel-size (the resolution in dpi), the color depth.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Henringe

Post by Henringe »

1. Embedded. The images are saved in the same folder as the presentation itself, and has been neither moved or deleted.

2. Use both .jpg and .png file types, nothing else.

3. Haven't optimized the pictures, but like I said, it has all been working just fine for a long time, until last night.
robleyd

Re: Images suddenly not showing anymore

Post by robleyd »

You might want to have a look at this topic which touched on the same subject.
Last edited by robleyd on Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit incorrect link
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

See this posting for my method of avoiding image loss on Impress. It may work for you

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=98215&hilit=+images#p471376

Note that I use OO on linux; I am confident the above method works on my computers. My memory is that it did work when I used OO on Windows XP/2000 (8-10 years ago).
 Edit: For me it also works to prevent sudden image loss in Writer files. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

Henringe wrote:Tried increasing both all the way up to 100, but it made no difference. The images still won't show.
This will not fix actual issue. Pictures are vanished and will not come back in your document.
But avoid to reproduce in the future.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

It is a bug in AOO.

LO used to have the same bug but it has now been repaired.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

It is a bug in AOO.

LO used to have the same bug but it has now been repaired.

See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Henringe

Post by Henringe »

Bidouille wrote:
Henringe wrote:Tried increasing both all the way up to 100, but it made no difference. The images still won't show.
This will not fix actual issue. Pictures are vanished and will not come back in your document.
But avoid to reproduce in the future.
Is there ANY way to restore the images that was in the presentation? If not, is there a way to go back to a previous saving time, or something like that? I would much rather re-do the last 5 slides I made than the other 45...
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Henringe wrote:Is there ANY way to restore the images that was in the presentation?
Read Item 16 in the tutorial.
Henringe wrote:If not, is there a way to go back to a previous saving time, or something like that? I would much rather re-do the last 5 slides I made than the other 45...
See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file (is there something similar on MacOS and Linux?);

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.