Font differences in printed notes between OO and Libre.

Discuss the presentation application
shilliard

Re: Font differences in printed notes between OO and Libre.

Post by shilliard »

John_Ha wrote:
John_Ha wrote:Check all the options in the File > Print ..., printer dialogue.
I don't see anything there that looks like it would increase size-on-paper or change fit to paper.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 and LibreOffice 6.1.5.2 on windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I don't see anything there that looks like it would increase size-on-paper or change fit to paper
The "Fit object to paper" option is located in the Format/Slide menu.

AOO 4.1.5: Format - Page
OpenOffice 4.1.5 Impress
OpenOffice 4.1.5 Impress

LO 6.1.5: Slide - Properties
LibreOffice 6.1.5 Impress
LibreOffice 6.1.5 Impress
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
shilliard

Post by shilliard »

Thanks Tibor. For both AOO and LO the "Fit object to paper" option was checked [X].

So I tried something else to study the 7% shrinkage of LO notes compared to AOO. I loaded "LO slide_jh - .odp" and specified to LO that the paper size for the notes was 8.5 X 14.00" instead of the true paper size of 8.50 X 11.00". I printed the notes with both settings and compared the paper printouts. For 8.5 X 14.00", the distance between notes header and footer increased but did not go off the paper. The surprise was that the text in the note shrunk way down -- increasing the white space between text and footer a large amount. This seems to me to be backwards and a malfunction.

The on-screen print review reflects the same result as the print output.

I performed the same test with AOO. The text for the 8.5 X 14.00" sample expanded as one would expect -- so much as to go off the page and also push the footer off the page. The expansion was understandably both vertical and horizontal.

Would someone please confirm or refute my result -- as it might indicate a bug in LO that could be fixed. I suspect there is just an extra "-" or a missing "-" in the code.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I don't have Letter sized paper so I printed the Notes page in AOO slide_jh.odp to PrimoPDF, a virtual PDF printer, using AOO and LO. Both PDFs are identical.
AOO slide_jh_printed by LO.pdf
(52.25 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
AOO slide_jh_printed by AOO.pdf
(51.99 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
They are also identical when printing to the the Microsoft XPS printer. The files are too large to upload here so see from AOO.xps and from LO.xps.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
shilliard

Post by shilliard »

John_Ha wrote:I don't have Letter sized paper so I printed the Notes page in AOO slide_jh.odp to PrimoPDF, a virtual PDF printer, using AOO and LO. Both PDFs are identical.

They are also identical when printing to the the Microsoft XPS printer. The files are too large to upload here so see
I exported notes to pdf and got the same result.
To review:
1 There was a difference earlier in printed notes with Calibri font because LO had to substitute a different font for Calibri.

2 The printed notes were identical when Tahoma font was used because both programs had the same font.

3 We just confirmed that exporting to PDF produces the same results as printing and viewing the notes on screen.

4 [edited for clarity] I discovered that the pages printed by AOO and LO differed when I tried to adjust the page format height (in [slide][properties] in LO) with the anomaly being with LO. Specifying more height makes the note increase in height (and width) with AOO as expected, but the reverse is true with LO.

------------ Page: ------ AOO ---- LO
Height: 11" --->14" -- larger -- smaller
Height: 11" --->11" -- same --- same
Height: 11" --->8" --- smaller - larger

These results apply only to notes. (The slides were identical between AOO and LO.) You don't have to print the results to confirm. The results are the same on screen and exported to PDF.

I suspect that the results will be similar regardless of your original page size.