150 slides with photos--possible?

Discuss the presentation application
NWSailor

150 slides with photos--possible?

Post by NWSailor »

I have used OpenOffice Writer and Spreadsheet for many years but have not yet used the Presentation module. I would like to use it for a somewhat large project, basically a slideshow with about 150 slides each with a slide size photo. Started putting together a few slides and quickly ran into the “Graphics Filter Not Found” issue that is discussed in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=85948

I was using large graphics (approx. 2+MB, 4032x3024px). I can certainly resize these way down and use a higher compression. Doing so should solve that issue. However, can someone tell me if I will encounter other issues by having so many slides (150+) with full size photos? I really don't want to be in the situation of spending many hours putting this project together and finding, as I assemble slide 150, that this is more than Impress was designed to handle. Has anyone built a project like this with Impress?

As a side question... When inserting a photo in a slide, does that slide actually point to the file location of the photo or does the photo become integrated into the Impress file?

Thank you in advance for your helpful advice on the above.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 running on Windows 10
robleyd

Re: 150 slides with photos--possible?

Post by robleyd »

If you haven't already seen it, you might find [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images a useful resource.

I can't answer your specific question about number of slides, others will no doubt have advice.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
erbsenzahl
Volunteer

Post by erbsenzahl »

NWSailor wrote:Has anyone built a project like this with Impress?
Sorry, no and yes. Not so many images.
For OO you need an extension. It's easy to build a photo show in LibreOffice with the in-built Insert > Media > Photo Album. Don't embed the images but generate links. After that you may compress the entire presentation and save to another location (and the pictures/images become embedded). So the presentation should be stable.
If requried you easily can add some comments ([x] Add caption to each slide) while generating and later editing the presentation. Empty caption fields needn't to be erased, they simply don't show while presented.

Other proposal: For simple photo shows I regularly use the "Show Image App" of my operating system. You only have to collect your photos/images in one specific folder... - Cheers
LibreOffice current versions 7 and OpenOffice 4.1.15
on LinuxMint 20 - 21 Mate, W10-64 pro
RPG
Volunteer

Post by RPG »

I did do a test, there on the Dutch forum was a similar question. It was not for Impress but for Draw.

I did take 318 pictures different in Size from 8MB to 20 KB. The file size complete was 792 MB.
Some times it takes more then 10 hours before an action was completed and the computer did not react on any thing. But It was working good. But it was real slow. Advice is: do it not.

Romke
LibreOffice 7.1.4.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.2
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

NWSailor wrote:I have used OpenOffice Writer and Spreadsheet for many years but have not yet used the Presentation module.
I suggest that you read the Impress Manual before starting as Impress is very different from Writer and Calc.

Impress can easily handle 150 slides - it's 150 large images which is the concern. Be sure to save as a .odp file.

Search the Impress forum with images for a number of posts about lost images and for hints and tips about how to minimise the risk of losing images.

I have experienced image loss in both LO and AOO Impress with a presentation of about 40 slides with full page images and another 60 smaller images - after using Minimise Presentation the file was about 16 MBytes. It is very frustrating as it happens randomly - it is OK for ages and then suddenly an image is not there. There seems to be no reason other than AOO and LO don't handle files with many large images well. You open a perfectly good presentation and find some images are missing, or you scroll up and, while they were there the last time you scrolled, they aren't there now.

It will probably be better if you link the images rather than embed them. If you lose images, do they re-appear if you close and re-open the file? If not, upload the .odp file so it can be analysed.
 Edit: Why do I now think it will be better to use linked images? EDIT - see below - I now don't think that is correct.

1. The .odp file now contains only a link to the image file and not the image file itself. When the linked image is inserted into the presentation and the user sees it, the user knows that the .odp file has the correct information to pull in the image. It is not thought that this "pull-in information" gets corrupted when images are lost.

I think that when an embedded or a linked image goes missing the following happens:

a) The image is pulled into AOO and is stored as a temporary file. Embedded ones come from the .odp file while linked ones come from the folder.
b) The image stored as a temporary file in the temporary folder. The image is displayed using this temporary file.
c) When the image disappears it does so because the temporary file gets lost - it seems to get deleted.
d) When a file is saved the contents of the temporary folder are saved. So, if the file is saved after an image has gone missing, the image will not be stored in the .odp (or .odt) file because there is no temporary image file in the temporary folder.
e) When the file is opened the image is missing because it was not saved in step d). There is no way to get the image back.

Obviously, if a linked image is being displayed at step b) and it goes missing at step d), the image itself will not be deleted as it is still stored on the disk.

2. All images will still be on disk in the folder from which they are called so the images themselves will never be "deleted and lost" as can happen if they are embedded.

I would insert the images in the same folder as the .odp file. Create a folder called, say, Fred, and put the .odp file and the images in Fred.

Following further tests I do not believe that linked images will be any better than embedded images.

The reason is that what gets lost from the file is the address of the image and that address will be lost whether the image is embedded or whether it is linked.

This is the line from the file calling for an embedded image. The next line shows what happens when an embedded image goes missing. A linked image would probably be exactly the same in that its address would similarly be lost.

Code: Select all

<draw:image xlink:href="Pictures/1000000000000B20000008582BEE5677.jpg" xlink:type="simple" xlink:show="embed" xlink:actuate="onLoad">
<draw:image xlink:href="">

Were I to have a presentation of 150 images I would create a PDF from the presentation and present using the PDF to guarantee no embarrassment in front of my audience.

You don't need 4,000+ pixels images. If the projector only has a resolution of, say, 1,500 pixels it is pointless using images with more than 1,500 pixels. AOO has Tools > Minimise Presentation ..., which resamples the images smaller. Either use it after inserting the images (use it frequently while creating the presentation), or reduce the image resolutions as described in the tutorial before inserting them. While creating the presentation think about creating several smaller presentations rather than one large one.

Do not paste JPG files into Impress - they will be saved as enormous PNG files and will bloat the file.

Set Tools > Options > Load/Save > AutoRecovery to OFF. I have experienced image loss (in Writer) at the precise moment at which an AutoSave takes place.

Set Tools > Options > Load/Save > Create Backup to ON. At least you will now have the previous copy of the saved Impress file if you lose images.

If you just want to show photos or other images use IrfanView where File > Slideshow ..., steps through a list of graphic files or through a folder of images.
Last edited by John_Ha on Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Using Images in OpenOffice - whether in Writer or other applications, I find it gives better image stability to disable /Tools /Options /Load-Save /General : Save Autorecovery Information . The responsibility is now on the User to make regular backup files. Also, be aware that if you get a crash, for whatever reason, OO will not now attempt recovery - you will have to revert to your last backup.

Also, there is no point in exceeding the resolution of your target projector or screen; typically this will not exceed 1920 x 1080, and with older projectors often 1280 x 1024 or 1024 x 768.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I did the following test with embedded images in AOO where I lost 10 photos.

1. Create new, empty presentation
2. Insert 150 slides and save file. All OK.
3. Drag a 1.5MB JPG into slide 1, another into slide 2, another into slide 3 ..., etc. The photos must be different or AOO will store only one file. This embeds the images in the .odp file.
4. I saved after every 10 drags.
5. I got to 60 slides and saved. I then saw that photos 50 - 60 were missing - see image. The file was then about 75 Mbytes.
6. On inspection of the .odp file, the missing photos were not stored in the .odp file \Pictures folder.

content.xml is as below where Slide 49 is OK but the image is missing from Slide 50 - it should be in the line which starts <draw:image xlink:href="">.

Code: Select all

<draw:page draw:name="page49" draw:style-name="dp1" draw:master-page-name="Default" presentation:presentation-page-layout-name="AL2T1">
				<draw:frame presentation:style-name="pr4" draw:layer="layout" svg:width="25.199cm" svg:height="3.506cm" svg:x="1.4cm" svg:y="0.837cm" presentation:class="title" presentation:placeholder="true">
					<draw:text-box/>
				</draw:frame>
				<draw:frame presentation:style-name="pr5" draw:layer="layout" svg:width="25.199cm" svg:height="13.859cm" svg:x="1.4cm" svg:y="4.914cm" presentation:class="outline" presentation:placeholder="true">
				<draw:frame draw:style-name="gr1" draw:text-style-name="P1" draw:layer="layout" svg:width="27.998cm" svg:height="20.999cm" svg:x="0cm" svg:y="0.001cm">
					<draw:image xlink:href="Pictures/1000000000000B20000008582BEE5677.jpg" xlink:type="simple" xlink:show="embed" xlink:actuate="onLoad">
						<text:p/>
					</draw:image>
				<presentation:notes draw:style-name="dp2">
					<draw:page-thumbnail draw:style-name="gr2" draw:layer="layout" svg:width="14.848cm" svg:height="11.136cm" svg:x="3.075cm" svg:y="2.257cm" draw:page-number="49" presentation:class="page"/>
					<draw:frame presentation:style-name="pr6" draw:layer="layout" svg:width="16.799cm" svg:height="13.364cm" svg:x="2.1cm" svg:y="14.107cm" presentation:class="notes" presentation:placeholder="true">
				</presentation:notes>
			</draw:page>
			<draw:page draw:name="page50" draw:style-name="dp1" draw:master-page-name="Default" presentation:presentation-page-layout-name="AL2T1">
				<draw:frame presentation:style-name="pr4" draw:layer="layout" svg:width="25.199cm" svg:height="3.506cm" svg:x="1.4cm" svg:y="0.837cm" presentation:class="title" presentation:placeholder="true">
				<draw:frame presentation:style-name="pr5" draw:layer="layout" svg:width="25.199cm" svg:height="13.859cm" svg:x="1.4cm" svg:y="4.914cm" presentation:class="outline" presentation:placeholder="true">
				<draw:frame draw:style-name="gr1" draw:text-style-name="P1" draw:layer="layout" svg:width="27.998cm" svg:height="20.999cm" svg:x="0cm" svg:y="0.001cm">
					<draw:image xlink:href="">    ******** NOTE THE NAME OF THE IMAGE IS MISSING FROM HERE *******
						<text:p/>
					</draw:image>
				<presentation:notes draw:style-name="dp2">
					<draw:page-thumbnail draw:style-name="gr2" draw:layer="layout" svg:width="14.848cm" svg:height="11.136cm" svg:x="3.075cm" svg:y="2.257cm" draw:page-number="50" presentation:class="page"/>
					<draw:frame presentation:style-name="pr6" draw:layer="layout" svg:width="16.799cm" svg:height="13.364cm" svg:x="2.1cm" svg:y="14.107cm" presentation:class="notes" presentation:placeholder="true">
				</presentation:notes>
			</draw:page>
I need to repeat the test with linked images by Insert > from File ..., tick the Link box > navigate to the JPG file and insert it.

See Comment 9 which I posted in Issue 117173 - graphic images dropped randomly, and repeatedly, during editing
Clipboard01.gif

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

You may find LibreOffice 6.1 and later more stable than AOO as LO recently (late 2018? early 2019?) improved the way in which images are handled. LO spent 40,000 Euros on having a professional programmer rewrite image handling so it was probably about 6 person-months of work.

See

Image handling rework for LibreOffice – Collabora’s tender results (June 2018),

How TDF uses its tendering process to improve LibreOffice and share knowledge with the community,

Has LibreOffice 6 just killed the indispensable "Memory" options? and

Bug 110448 - Remove "Memory" page from Options dialog; only adjust the settings using Expert Configuration.

John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I did some more testing with AOO where I did everything I could think of to make things worse for AOO so as to lose images but none got lost.

I set Graphics cache memory to 25 MB (was 255MB), Memory per object to 1MB (was 5MB) and Remove from memory 1 min (was 10 min). I set Cache for inserted objects: No Objects to 10 (was 100) on the basis that this means lots of swapping from memory to temp files. I set AutoSave to 1 min.

I had 70+ 1.5 MB JPG images in the file and I dragged in another 40 so I now had 110 x 1.5 MB photos. I didn't lose a single image and when I saved (which took a long time - the file was now 175 MB) and re-opened the file, all the images were there. AutoSave did not lose images even when I had an image selected and I was dragging it around the slide; or when I was actually editing text on a slide when AutoSave took place. Save and AutoSave were very slow - about 40 - 50 seconds (and I have an SSD!). There was about a 5 second delay between the blue bar crossing the screen shwoing the save was happening and AOO becoming responsive again. I kept clicking during the Save period and still nothing went wrong.

I checked and when AOO writes an image out of memory into ...\Temp as a file named something like sv2yizno.tmp, the sv2yizno.tmp file is the actual 1.5MB JPG file itself.

Were I to need a presentation I think I would now use LO instead of AOO as I think there is less risk of losing images with LO.

Alternatively, I would create a PDF file from the presentation and present from the PDF as I know the PDF will never lose images. Of course a PDF does not do "fancy slide transitions" so a PDF is more suited to less complex presentations.