[Solved] Can I insert different footers on different slides?

Discuss the presentation application
shilliard

[Solved] Can I insert different footers on different slides?

Post by shilliard »

How can I insert different footers on different slides in Impress?

I tried [view] [header and footer] but [Apply] footer doesn't take.
Last edited by robleyd on Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick
OpenOffice 4.1.5 and LibreOffice 6.1.5.2 on windows 10
RoryOF

Re: How can I insert different footers on different slides?

Post by RoryOF »

In the /View /Header and Footer window you can apply a footer to the currently selected slide. Pressing the Apply button applies it to that slide. If you select another slide, the same process will allow you apply a different footer. The Apply to All button overrules the individual selections.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
shilliard

Post by shilliard »

Thanks, But like I said in my post, I tried that and it didn't work.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It worked for me. See the attached file for three different footers on the three slides.
Attachments
Sample.odp
(13.59 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
shilliard

Post by shilliard »

I tried to change the footer on slide 3 on your example. I selected the third slide, normal tab, [view] -- the [header and footer] was greyed out. How can I navigate to where I can change the test of the footer on slide 3?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I have just now downloaded the file, clicked on Slide 3, then /View /Header and Footer, changed the text in the footer box and pressed Apply. Te footer changed, as I expected. Perhaps not altering for you as you are not the author of the file. Try with your own file.
shilliard

Post by shilliard »

RoryOF wrote:I have just now downloaded the file, clicked on Slide 3, then /View /Header and Footer, changed the text in the footer box and pressed Apply. Te footer changed, as I expected. Perhaps not altering for you as you are not the author of the file. Try with your own file.
I saved the file to my document area. ( After I opened the attachment, it was in a folder called "Temp" in a download area.) Then an hour later I (probably not important) the [Header and Footer] menu was active.

Then comes the weird part. I selected normal tab, slide 3, changed "Third footer" to "Third footer, Change 1", [Apply], closed the header and footer window. Slide 3 was unchanged. I opened he header and footer window again. The textbox showed the change: "Third footer, Change 1". So I [Apply] & the window closes. This second [Apply] caused the change to take effect.

I repeated this scenario on slide 2 and it worked the same way -- two [Applies] to make the change successfully.

Now that I know about the need to use a saved file and to [apply] twice I can get by. I wonder if everybody has to [Apply] twice to make a change?

I spoke too soon. I tried to change a footer of a slide in my original file. I can type the change into the textbox but [Apply] does make the change - no matter how many times I try. The change stays in the textbox between reopening the file and footr window and reapplying.

What might be the cause of this? One difference is that my file contains 34 slides. Also I have V4.1.5.
shilliard

Post by shilliard »

Here is more data. I created blank slide 4 in your file. It contained the footer Change 1. Slide 3 also contained Change 1, although I am pretty sure that when I last closed the file the third slide was "Third footer, Change 1".

I pasted into slide 4 a copy of slide5 of my file. then I changed the footer to "The Split Self" and [Apply]. The change took effect right away.

I also ran "Minimize Presentation" on my file but that didn't change anything except to reduce the file size.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

( After I opened the attachment, it was in a folder called "Temp" in a download area.)
Always download the attachments before you try to open them for editing. The directly opened attachments will open as a "read only" file.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Inserting a blank slide in the slide panel on the left seems to insert the last slide, so after my three slides, the fourth slide is footer 3 ("Third slide"). If I select slide 4, /View /Header and Footer permits me to change the displayed footer ("Fourth slide") using the Apply button. The thumbnail slide in the slide pane shows the changed footer, but the main slide, occupying much of the screen, does not change until one selects a different slide in the slide pane.
shilliard

Post by shilliard »

Using your file, I also have to select a different slide to make a change to header or footer complete. On my file no change happens.
I updated to version 4.1.6 but that didn't fix the problem with my file. I started a new file and initial test seem to be working. I will try again tomorrow. Any ideas will be appreciated.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Any ideas will be appreciated.
shilliard,

please upload YOUR .odp type sample file here.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
shilliard

Post by shilliard »

Zizi64 wrote:
Any ideas will be appreciated.
shilliard,

please upload YOUR .odp type sample file here.
Thanks for the offer but I think I have solved the problem with my file. I believe the file was damaged, so here is what I did.

Created a new Impress file.

Added headers and footers to the blank slide.

Copied pages from the damaged file to the new using drag and drop of the left-pane slide images.
Printed after transferring 8 slides. The page size was screwed up and I couldn't fix it. I deleted one suspicious slide that had two black blotches on the slide image that did not appear on the slide itself. Then it printed OK. Replace the slide with a blank.

Copied the rest of the slides to the new file.

Discovered that for all the later slides the notes were joined to the wrong slide -- offset down one slide. I copied the notes to the right slide.

I have played and printed all 34 slides and the new file seems to have fixed the problem.