Videos missing when transferring a presentation

Discuss the presentation application
FredParmenter

Videos missing when transferring a presentation

Post by FredParmenter »

I have a presentation in which I have used "Insert > Movie & Sound" to insert a video. It runs perfectly. However, when I copy the presentation to my laptop the videos are not there. Images are. The text is. The slides are. But any slide which had a video on it appears as a big question mark. I have tried copying the videos to the same directory on the laptop as the presentation, but still nothing shows up. If I go to the laptop I can delete the video with the question mark and then add the video on my laptop and then everything works fine. But I use my PC as my development machine and my laptop I take for presentations. So Ideally I'd like to be able to copy everything I need from my PC to my laptop and have it work. I have tried the minimizer tool, but that also didn't create a moveable presentation.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Thanks.
OpenOffice 4.12 Windows10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Videos missing when transferring a presentation

Post by John_Ha »

A quick test shows that adding a video (an .avi file) to a presentation stores only the link to the file and the actual file itself is not stored in the .odp file.

Code: Select all

<draw:frame draw:style-name="standard" draw:layer="layout" svg:width="16.932cm" svg:height="9.524cm" svg:x="5.602cm" svg:y="5.692cm">
	<draw:plugin xlink:href="../../Documents/3d%20reverse%20perspective/3D%20Paper%20Optical%20Illusions%20from%20www.urdjuret.com%202014-06-18/Videos/UrDJUret%20Dragon.avi" xlink:type="simple" xlink:show="embed" xlink:actuate="onLoad" draw:mime-type="application/vnd.sun.star.media">
		<draw:param draw:name="Loop" draw:value="false"/>
		<draw:param draw:name="Mute" draw:value="false"/>
		<draw:param draw:name="VolumeDB" draw:value="0"/>
		<draw:param draw:name="Zoom" draw:value="fit"/>
	</draw:plugin>
</draw:frame>
Copy the videos to the appropriate similar location on the other PC. I suggest that you insert them from a folder called videos below the folder in which the presentation is created. Now create a folder called videos below the folder in which the video is stored on the second PC and they will be found.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Last edited by John_Ha on Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Are you using the native .odp fileformat?

I think, the videos are not embedded into the Impress file. They are linked only. You must send them together the Impress file. Link it from same directory where the Impress file is located, and then copy into same directory where the copy of the impress file will be located, and use the option "Save hyperlinks relative..." for your Impress document file.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See Page 161 in the Impress Guide which says:
Note that Impress will only link the media clip, not embed it.

Therefore if the presentation is moved to a different computer, the link will be broken and the media clip will not play. For an easy workaround that prevents this from happening:
1) Place the media file which is to be included in the presentation in the same folder where the presentation is stored.
2) Insert the media file in the presentation.
3) Send both the presentation and the the media file to the computer which is to be used for the presentation and place both files in the same folder on that computer.
That advice is better than mine.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.