[Solved] 4.1.5 loaded and now Impress video incompatability

Discuss the presentation application
wysewun

[Solved] 4.1.5 loaded and now Impress video incompatability

Post by wysewun »

My 19 m.o. laptop died and I have bought a new one and downloaded Open Office 4.1.5 on Win10. I have Impress presentations that I made on an earlier version into which I successfully inserted MP4 video clips. Now they do not open. I tried altering the clips from MP4 to .avi using VLC Media Player, still with no success. Should I try to re-install Open Office earlier version? Or are there other formats I should try to convert to?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows10
RoryOF

Re: V.4.1.5 loaded and now Impress video incompatability

Post by RoryOF »

OO 4 is not very happy with video. When I wish to insert a video clip, usually of soe minutes, I use a hyperlink to the clip and that causes the system video player to present it. A little clunky, but in the context of a longer clip that doesn't matter to me.

Alternately, LibreOffice is better at media inserts. This problem for OO has been looked at on the Developers list and a future release (possibly 4.2.0, possibly later) may fix this.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
wysewun

Post by wysewun »

Thanks for that. Problem with the link is that one would have to be internet connected and that's not always possible when travelling about. If I started with Libre how would I transfer the ODT files across? I've spent months creating these presentations! Would it not work if I went back to a previous OO version? Sure appreciate the help.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Problem with the link is that one would have to be internet connected
Not if you hyperlink to a file on your computer.
If I started with Libre how would I transfer the ODT files across?
You simply install LO and use it to open your files rather than using AOO.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
wysewun

Post by wysewun »

Thank you so much. Very simple answers that will no doubt solve my dilemma, even if at least temporarily. :bravo:
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] 4.1.5 loaded and now Impress video incompatabil

Post by RoryOF »

My advise on Presentations is to always run through the entire presentation privately, in advance of the public Presentation. Use the laptop you intend to use (or the USB stick); the projector can be simulated by a monitor attached to the external port of the laptop. You may need to manually (mouse click in the corner) turn off the system video/media player if using that to show your video.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS