No background only image

Discuss the presentation application
jannikesv

No background only image

Post by jannikesv »

Hello,

I make a slide show of different drawn images, these are all PNG's, so there are nothing but the figures. I try to make the white square default background go away so that nothing but the drawn pictures will appear when projected, but I can't seem to figure it out.

What can I do? Is it possible?
Open Office 4.1.3 Mac Os Sierra 10.12.6
RoryOF

Re: No background only image

Post by RoryOF »

Please upload a small sample .odp file (say of two slides) for examination. The upload tab is below the Submit button on FullEditor or PostReply screens
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
jannikesv

Post by jannikesv »

There should be no white stuff when projected, only window frame and curtains.
Attachments
Skjermbilde 2018-06-06 kl. 14.29.23.png
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Please upload an actual Impress file that shows the problem, not an image of the display,
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A quick guess: select the image by clicking on it. Eight green handles should show about it. Pull the middle handles left and right to fit the slide. Ditto the middle handles top and bottom.

But an uploaded sample file is best when one needs advice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
jannikesv

Post by jannikesv »

The page just refreshes whenever I try uploading the .odp to the forum, I'm sorry. I'll try to explain myself better.

The drawing doesn't have straight lines, and this is an .png, so dragging it to fit the screen won't help. Also while being projected, different stuff will appear in this drawn window, so the white stuff inside (behind) it, needs to go. There should be nothing but the actual window. I managed to upload a screenshot of the .png, so maybe it's easier to see what I mean with transparency and background. Did I explain it well enough?
Attachments
Skjermbilde 2018-06-06 kl. 14.55.29.png
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

The window image displays in Impress the same way is displays when viewed so prepare your image in an image editor to look as you want it before inserting it into Impress. If you just want the curtauins and window frame, crop the image. Set the edges to be white; or set them to be transparent and white background will then shine through.

The only change possible to make the "glass" transparent in which case whatever is behind the window image shows through the transparent areas.

1. Set the colour of the window image "glass" to be, say, blue.
2. Save the image as a PNG file, saving with transparency. Set blue to be transparent.
3. Insert window image.

The window image "glass" now shows whatever colour is behind the image.
Clipboard01.png
Clipboard01.png (7.16 KiB) Viewed 3886 times
test.odp
(40.6 KiB) Downloaded 377 times
See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images - and see the Impress Manual.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
jannikesv

Post by jannikesv »

Thank you!

So, this image is already cropped. The image is only a window frame with curtains with nothing inside the window's 'glass, or on the side of the curtains.

The first image i posted with the white background was a screen shot from a impress preview, so don't mind that.

I think setting a color to transparency is the way to go. As the impress automatically gives me a white background, then maybe it's possible to make white a transparent color? How do I do that?
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Use an image editor and do 1. and 2. above.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
jannikesv

Post by jannikesv »

The last parton number 2: 'set blue to be transparent', what do i click in Impress?
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

1. Read the first sentence in my first post.
2. Read my last post.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.