Incompatibility between JPEG in OpenOffice and PowerPoint

Discuss the presentation application
fletch92131

Incompatibility between JPEG in OpenOffice and PowerPoint

Post by fletch92131 »

I created a PowerPoint presentation in Impress and included some JPEG images from both open sources as well as those captured from using Pickpic, a free screen capture software. Admittedly, the images from the latter often contained writing below the image, but I don't understand why that would matter. Anyway, when I tried to display it at school on a Windows 7, Microsoft PowerPoint version 13workstation, it shows up as incompatibility. Any ideas why this might be? I'd really like to display this topic for my class, without using the different device to projected on the screen.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10 Home
RoryOF

Re: incompatibility between JPEG in OpenOffice and PowerPoin

Post by RoryOF »

A quick workaround: /File /Export as PDF, then use the PDF viewer every computer has available. This won't do animations or multimedia, but you will be able to show your slides immediately without taking time to debug the actual problem.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Incompatibility between JPEG in OpenOffice and PowerPoin

Post by John_Ha »

fletch92131 wrote:Admittedly, the images from the latter often contained writing below the image
I think that is the clue. You have inserted the JPG image plus metadata (eg title, size, number of pixels) associated with the JPG. PowerPoint may not like it.

Whenever you insert an image always pass it through an image editor first (I use the free and excellent IrfanView) so as to be sure that you are working only with the image and not with metadata.

See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images in Writer - it applies to Impress as well.

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for a discussion of differences between AOO and MS products.

As a relatively new poster you will find much useful information in the User Guides. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem. When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.