[Solved] MP4 video not accepted

Discuss the presentation application
Gracie

[Solved] MP4 video not accepted

Post by Gracie »

Running OpenOffice 4.1.5 and cannot insert a 34kb MP4 video into Impress. Get the Format Not Supported error.

I've seen this issue discussed, but not since 2012, so I'm asking again now.

Thanks very much.

REGARDING HOW THIS WAS SOLVED....
I visited this link provided here by John_Ha: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=93010

It introduced me to converting my video to .avi - since MP4 cannot be uploaded in AOO. It took me a couple of days to find a reliable FREE, ONLINE "converter" site to convert my YouTube video from MP4 to .AVI . (I did not want to pay for a converter app since I seldom create presentations with video & audio clips and I learned not to download a FREE APP because a lot of converters apps download nasty-behind-the-scenes stuff). After much trial and error, I was finally successful with SaveClipBro. From there, with a .avi video, I am learning to use NCI VideoPad Professional to EDIT my video into short clips that I'm uploading into IMPRESS.

I've gone through this steep, lengthy learning curve because I want to play my clips in Impress without going to the Internet - which is what my YouTube necessitated.

Hope this helps someone else!!!!!
Last edited by Gracie on Sat May 19, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RoryOF

Re: MP4 video not accepted

Post by RoryOF »

Won't work at present - try LibreOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Gracie

Post by Gracie »

Does any file format work in OpenOffice? And how long is "at present"? A few days? or in development?

And what's LibreOffice?

Thanks.
OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In development, and no release date yet set that I know,

Google is your friend - look up LibreOffice.
Gracie

Post by Gracie »

Generous of you to propose an alternative that was "forked off" your own project.
Many thanks.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Note that it isn't "our" project - we are just users like you; and hopefully have given you a possible solution to your problem.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Gracie

Post by Gracie »

Sadly, LibreOffice has the same difficulty.

But...in a OpenOffice post from May 2017 that I just found, Russell suggested to Member "mjo" to use Zamazar to convert his mp4. It worked for mjo...but he did not say what format he used. Hoping someone here may have learned by now what "converted format" OpenOffice may accept in Impress.

Or are there NO formats you know of? And I need to go away... :knock:

Thanks for your patience...
Gracie

Post by Gracie »

Actually, I did not realize that it's users who are responding. I've only used the Forum once before last year and, am obviously, new to the concept. Did not mean offense in any way. I have just sent a PM to Member "mjo" to see if he recalls what extension worked for him. I'll share the info if he does.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try .avi format (just a guess).
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If LibreOffice does not play your video, that suggests that the correct video codecs are not installed on your computer. Does the system media player play the video outside of OO/LO? Double click the MP4 file and see. If not, you will need to install the correct codecs - as I am not a Windows user I cannot advise on how this is done.

Once these are installed (and perhaps computer restarted) LibreOffice should play the video. I suggest LibreOffice, as I am certain that the current version of OO will not handle it.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Solved] Ensure presentation with video works on AOO and LO. You can easily convert between video formats - google it.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
kkmin

Re: [Solved] MP4 video not accepted

Post by kkmin »

Actually, you can try to use some online converters, such as Zamzar, Convertio. They are free and easy to use. However, if your files are large and you want to use offline video converter, you can try Joyoshare Video Converter, Anyvideo and others. They can help you convert MP4 to AVI.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 10