PPTX with Master Template in OO vs MSPP and PDF Conversion

Discuss the presentation application
andrvet

PPTX with Master Template in OO vs MSPP and PDF Conversion

Post by andrvet »

hello. I use:
MS PP for Mac version 16.12 (180410)
Apache OO 4.1.5 AOO415m1(Build:9789) - Rev. 1817496; 2017-12-11 07:55:07 (Mon, 11 Dec 2017) - Darwin x86_64

Problem:
1. PPTX created in MS PP contains a Master Slide (aka Master Template).

2. When in Normal View I open the PPTX in MS PP then the template is not visible (i.e. none of the slides display the template). I can see the Template when I switch to Master Template View.

3. When in Normal View I open the same PPTX in OO then each slide displays the template (in a background of each slide). No need to switch to master Template View to see the template (it already presents/visible - in Normal View - on each slide)

4. Later I do PPTX->PDF conversion via CL (in shell script):
4.1 launch openoffice : soffice -headless -accept="socket,host=0.0.0.0,port=8100;urp;" -nofirststartwizard &
4.2 exec su -ls "/bin/bash" -c "mkdir -p /home/openoffice/.local/share; /usr/bin/soffice $ARGS $FILE" openoffice
4.3 convert PPTX into PDF: java -jar /somepath/jodconverter-2.2.2/lib/jodconverter-cli-2.2.2.jar -f pdf /someotherpath/my.pptx

Actual result: PDF (a result of the conversion) contains the master template image and text on each page
Expected result: PDF should not contain the master template.

Questions:
1.Why OO treats PPTX differently compared with MS PP (in regards with master template/master slide) - as shown in steps 2 and 3? Is it a known problem or depends on the template? In my case a template contains an image and a one line text.
2.Is there a way to suppress a Master Template during pptx->pdf conversion?
3.Is there a way to launch OO (in command line and with passed PPTX as an argument) with some option to suppress/ignore the Master Template?

My goal is to create PDF w/o the Master Template. Note, I don't control the process of PPTX creation, i.e. I can't ask PPTX creators not to use master template when they create their PPTX presentations.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4 (17E199)
Hagar Delest

Re: PPTX with Master Template in OO vs MSPP and PDF Conversi

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Please remember that basically, PPTX was not designed to be compatible with anything else than MS Office.
Maybe LibreOffice will be better at the job.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: PPTX with Master Template in OO vs MSPP and PDF Conversi

Post by Villeroy »

In a Windows environment it should be possible to install the PP viewer together with the "compatibility pack" and a PDF printer.

Make the PDF printer the default printer and write a script that opens file by file with PP Viewer with the /P option which prints to the default printer.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... .aspx?id=6
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... .aspx?id=3
http://www.rjlsoftware.com/support/faq/sa.cfm?n=4&q=190
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice