How to Import .otp Templates into .odp Presentation?

Discuss the presentation application
AshleyVincent

How to Import .otp Templates into .odp Presentation?

Post by AshleyVincent »

Hi! I’ve created a number of slides in Impress and saved each of them separately as .otp templates, because I am preparing several different presentations and will be using some, but not all, of these slides again.

My question is, how can I import one of these saved .otp templates into a new .odp Presentation I’m working on?

I can’t see an option to do this from the Insert dropdown menu. I did try to drag the .otp file onto the open .odp Presentation I’m working on and then aligned it to centre, but when I run the slide show it doesn’t remain centred.

I’m sure there is a way to add the .otp templates into a working .odp Presentation but I just can’t figure out how, and I haven’t been able to find a YouTube tutorial on this either.

If some one can either explain how to do this or perhaps provide me with a link to a YouTube tutorial that will, I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance!
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5
macOS High Sierra 10.13.1
erbsenzahl
Volunteer

Re: How to Import .otp Templates into .odp Presentation?

Post by erbsenzahl »

You may organize your templates this way:
File Menu > Templates > Organize > Presentation Backgrounds :: Command :: Import Template
The imported templates (backgrounds) will show up after restarting OpenOffice in the sidebar. On my computer this did not happen consistently, partly preview was not created... Give it a try.
A copy of your template automatically is stored in the office user profile.
Last edited by erbsenzahl on Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LibreOffice current versions 7 and OpenOffice 4.1.15
on LinuxMint 20 - 21 Mate, W10-64 pro
AshleyVincent

Post by AshleyVincent »

Many thanks for trying to help me with this! OK, I followed your instructions and I seem to now have successfully loaded the templates I designed into Template Management. I'm attaching a screenshot so you can see. I've circled in red the templates I just uploaded and arrow points to where I'm seeing them to use on the right.

The only problem now is, that for some reason the design I created on each of these templates isn't actually showing when I try to lay any of them over a blank slide.

If you look to the left hand side on the screenshot, where my draft slides are located, it will give you an idea of what kind of template I'm trying to create and use. Basically, I've taken one of the default templates from the Layouts panel and set my own boxes to load photos in, using the Insert Picture icon you find in the original layouts.

But those are not appearing for me in my templates when I select any of them that I just uploaded. Any thoughts?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 14.36.11 copy.jpg
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5
erbsenzahl
Volunteer

Post by erbsenzahl »

erbsenzahl wrote:The imported templates (backgrounds) will show up after restarting OpenOffice in the sidebar. On my computer this did not happen consistently, partly preview was not created...
AshleyVincent wrote:But those are not appearing for me in my templates when I select any of them that I just uploaded. Any thoughts?
Hi Vincent:

These are my results. (The way to organize the templates is shown in my above reply.)
  1. The only possibility to transfer slide backgrounds into the sidebar seems to be this: View and modify master slide, set bitmaps into it; bitmaps must not be linked but embedded!
  2. Linked bitmaps in templates don't show in the sidebar and cannot be applied. They only can be applied as empty slides.
  3. Altered page backgrounds
    1. Altered "page backgrounds" (as bitmap) also cannot be transferred into sidebar options but show up as empty slides.
      Bitmap page backgrounds can be generated in OpenOffice after importing a bitmap as area/background into a draw object, say rectangle. Then it can be used as page/slide background. In LibreOffice the proceeding is easier.
    2. These page backgrounds still remain in OO's memory. It is possible to apply them by this way:
      Menu Format > Page/Slide > Background > Bitmap :: AutoFit
      But, as mentioned, they don't show up in the sidebar.
Hope this was helpful for you.

OS: W10-64 pro; LinuxMint 18.3; AOO 4.1.5 and LibreOffice 5.4.6.2
LibreOffice current versions 7 and OpenOffice 4.1.15
on LinuxMint 20 - 21 Mate, W10-64 pro
AshleyVincent

Post by AshleyVincent »

Hi Erbsenzahl. So it seems that as useful as OpenOffice Impress is, it certainly has a number of limitations. In any case, I went an alternative route by creating one .odp file with as many different layouts styles as I think I'm ever likely to need, then saved that as my 'Master Template'. So now, anytime I wish to create a new Impress Presentation I simply make a copy of that 'Master Template', use whichever of the layouts in it that I created, and delete unneeded ones at the end of it.

Once again, thank you for helping me as much as you could.

Best wishes,

Ashley
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5