Presentations

Discuss the presentation application
ipisht

Presentations

Post by ipisht »

I am a new OpenOffice user. One of my doctoral students submitted PowerPoint (.ppt and .pptx) presentations for my review. The student's PowerPoints were prepared using Microsoft PowerPoint software on a Windows-based PC. My OpenOffice installation is on an Apple MacAir laptop.

The original slides have a white background. When I reviewed and returned the Presentation to the student (and also when viewed using my own Microsoft-based PowerPoint software), the white background was changed to grey stippling. How does one install/set-up the OpenOffice "Presentations" to NEVER change the incoming (i.e., default) background et al?
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Presentations

Post by jrkrideau »

Did you make changes or comments and then save the file?

If possible, can you upload a sample file here? A single screen should do.

To upload a file, in the Quote or Reply window but not the Quick Reply window there is an upload tab at the bottom of the window.

I must say that was a very negative review :)
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
ipisht

Post by ipisht »

The Apache OpenOffice presentation files (when saved) were changed regardless of whether the files were edited. I am attaching two samples of the same slide. The first slide is from the Microsoft PowerPoint source. The second slide is from a Apache OpenOffice saved file.
Attachments
Samples of Microsoft PowerPoint slide and Apache OpenOffice slide.pptx
(105.48 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.3 released
macOS Sierra
Version 10.12.6
MacBook Air 13inch
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

That is truly bizarre. I have no idea why that is happening but what is happening is that the properties are being reset.

You can get rid of the lines by right-click on the slide, selecting properties and set the background to None. I don't have access to MS but I reset the background to None, saved in MS format and when I reload the file it seemed okay.

No guarantee this hold for your computer setup, I suspect that the problem is unique to your computer or a combination of your computer the PH.D candidate but your doctoral candidate should be able to reset everything in MS.

Do you have access to another Mac? If so, I try the file there and see if the same thing happens.

If the problem persists, I'd suggest putting together a more detailed example or set of examples and posting to the Impress forum where the real experts are.

Best of luck
esperantisto
Volunteer

Post by esperantisto »

I have tried to reproduce the problem as follows:
1. Loaded the file uploaded by ipisht.
2. Made a minor edit of the first slide (simply hit enter to produce a new entry in the numbered list).
3. Saved.

With Apache OpenOffice 4.2.0 build 9800: both slides showed up with a fine grid. However, after I saved the edited file (to ODP, since the AOO build can’t save to PPTX), the grid disappeared but the background became blue.

With LibreOffice 5.0.2.1 and 5.3.3.2: the first slide showed up fine, the second with a grid. After saving, no grid on the first slide but the wavy shapes in the upper part slightly changed. The second slide, however, retained the grid.

Well, in this case using LibreOffice might be a viable solution.
AOO 4.2.0 (of 2015) / LO 7.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux Leap 15.4 (64-bit)
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

esperantisto wrote:I have tried to reproduce the problem as follows:
1. Loaded the file uploaded by ipisht.
2. Made a minor edit of the first slide (simply hit enter to produce a new entry in the numbered list).
3. Saved.

With Apache OpenOffice 4.2.0 build 9800: both slides showed up with a fine grid. However, after I saved the edited file (to ODP, since the AOO build can’t save to PPTX), the grid disappeared but the background became blue.

With LibreOffice 5.0.2.1 and 5.3.3.2: the first slide showed up fine, the second with a grid. After saving, no grid on the first slide but the wavy shapes in the upper part slightly changed. The second slide, however, retained the grid.

Well, in this case using LibreOffice might be a viable solution.
Would you say that this indicates an OOo bug? See my post above. I seemed to be able to "cure" the problem using LO.
esperantisto
Volunteer

Post by esperantisto »

Yes, I would suggest it is a problem (or problems) in AOO and LO import/export filters. Since I experienced the mentioned behavior on Windows 7 (sorry for not indicating it), I guess, it is not specific to Mac.

However, I discovered that it is possible to cure the problem in AOO Impress:
1. Right-click to call up the context menu.
2. Slide → Page Setup → Background.
3. Select Blank for Fill.

After exporting to PPT, the problem is gone. However, the shapes in the upper part are still changed.
AOO 4.2.0 (of 2015) / LO 7.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux Leap 15.4 (64-bit)