[Solved] How to insert text before or after a table?

Discuss the presentation application

[Solved] How to insert text before or after a table?

Postby tyebillion » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:50 am

I have a slide containing a table. How do I insert text before (above) or after (below) the table on the same slide?

So I'm aiming for the layout:
** Title **
** Text **
** Table **

or:
** Title **
** Table **
** Text **

Update
OK, I sussed this, it is easy: select the text box icon "T" and then click where you want the text to start on the slide.
Last edited by tyebillion on Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LibreOffice 5.1.6.2
Linux Mint 18.1
tyebillion

Re: How to insert text before or after a table?

Postby MrProgrammer » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:39 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Select the table. If the Table toolbar is not visible enable View → Toolbars → Table. Insert some extra rows before or after the table. Select all of the cells in a row. Merge the cells in the row and add your text there. The Insert and Merge icons are on the toolbar.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Attachments
201702021436.odp
(15.46 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.5 Build 9789 on MacOS 10.11.6.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
MrProgrammer

Re: How to insert text before or after a table?

Postby tyebillion » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:20 pm

Hi.

Adding extra rows to the table was not what I had in mind, but thanks anyway.
LibreOffice 5.1.6.2
Linux Mint 18.1
tyebillion

Re: [Solved] How to insert text before or after a table?

Postby RoryOF » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:38 pm

Mr Programmer advised adding extra lines _before_ the table. In certain circumstances (certainly in Writer - I cannot say for Impress) it can be difficult to do this; in that case the process is to place the cursor before the first character in the first cell of the table and press Alt Enter. This will insert a blank line before the table. You can now add more lines before the table in the normal way.

The same technique, modified to cursor after last character in last cell of the table, will place a new line after the table. It's helpful in both cases to turn on /View /Non printing characters.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Xubuntu 18.04.3 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to Impress