No audio in presentations

Discuss the presentation application
heyimjason

No audio in presentations

Post by heyimjason »

I've spent a few hours trying to figure out the problem here. I'm downloading presentations that seem to work for everybody else in my class, but I, for whatever reason, am unable to hear audio on the 20-something presentations I've downloaded. Interestingly, I did just download the MS PP viewer to see if that worked, and it appears that I am unable to hear presentation audio in there, either. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this? All of my other programs and audio works just fine. I'm starting to wonder if this is another weird Windows 10 issue.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 / Windows 10
heyimjason

No audio in presentations.

Post by heyimjason »

Hello. I've tried downloading about 20 different presentations and am unable to hear the Powerpoint audio. Nobody else in my class is having this issue. I've even tried the MS Powerpoint Viewer and I still have the same issue (though I'd much rather get this working with OpenOffice). I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, or if it is a Windows 10 issue, or what.
acknak

Re: No audio in presentations.

Post by acknak »

These two topics seem to be duplicates; I've merged them together here.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
heyimjason

Post by heyimjason »

Sorry about that. Thanks!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Is audio working on your computer using a media player?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
heyimjason

Post by heyimjason »

RoryOF wrote:Is audio working on your computer using a media player?
Yep, no problems at all with Media Player Classic or MusicBee.
heyimjason

Post by heyimjason »

For whatever it's worth, I tried changing the presentation to a zip file, opened it, found the media folder, and saw a bunch of .m4a files. I was able to play those with no problem in MusicBee and Media Player Classic. Still, the presentations won't play audio in OpenOffice or PowerPoint Viewer (yet the same presentations still work fine for other people on their computers).
Mr.Dandy

Post by Mr.Dandy »

heyimjason wrote:Still, the presentations won't play audio in OpenOffice or PowerPoint Viewer (yet the same presentations still work fine for other people on their computers).
So, you have a missing CODEC on your system.
Try a tool like NirSoft to detect it.
OpenOffice 4.1.12 - Windows 10
heyimjason

Post by heyimjason »

If I was missing a necessary codec, why would I be able to play the audio files with no problem using my media players?
Mr.Dandy

Post by Mr.Dandy »

Maybe these players embed its own CODEC...
jerfrank
Banned

Post by jerfrank »

Try to uninstall the audio driver and then reinstall it. Update the PPT program. httpxs://windows10skill.com/fix-no-sound-issue-on-windows-10/
Last edited by robleyd on Mon May 17, 2021 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Disable spam link
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If the MS PPT viewer is not playing audio on PPT presentations that work on other computers, as is said in the first and second postings, then there is something wrong at the Windows installation level, nothing to do with OpenOffice
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Mr.Dandy

Post by Mr.Dandy »

Last visited: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:15 am
Sad to have no feedback
djllor

Post by djllor »

This solution was performed for LibreOffice on Windows 10, but should also work with OpenOffice.

The issue of why there is no sound is due to LibreOffice's reliance on the Operating System to play multimedia files. This is due to LibreOffice being multi-platform and there is currently no decent cross-platform multimedia framework that works with all codec's (coder - decoder) 'out of the box'.

The PowerPoint .pptx file has an embedded .m4a (MPEG-4) audio file (that's what I found with the particular .pptx file I was trying to view/hear). Thus, Windows must have the codecs installed to play the .m4a file. Windows 'out of the box' has limited ability to play media files and thus, they must be added.

The solution: install K-Lite Codec Pack - - go to: codecguide.com and download and install either the 'Basic' or 'Standard' package. This will add a number of codecs that will allow your Window's box to play almost any multi-media file you encounter. You will be downloading a single .exe file, then execute (run) the .exe accepting all the defaults. Once installed, I still did not have sound until I rebooted Windows.

Note: K-Lite is freeware. There is no cost to use it. However, it's not open source.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Linux Mint 20.1 / Windows 10