New and computer ignorant

Discuss the presentation application
roxannhamilton

New and computer ignorant

Post by roxannhamilton »

I don't understand what open office does. I need to do powerpoints. Can I do them with open office? I have start up word and excel, and that's all after my hard drive had to be replaced. I'm almost 70, but know pretty much nothing about computers, software, and the vocabulary.
open office 4.1 windows 10
RoryOF

Re: New and computer ignorant

Post by RoryOF »

With respect, you need to make Presentations, which are often in Powerpoint format and shown with Powerpoint. OpenOffice has a number of components, of which Impress can be used to make and show presentations. In Impress, the file can be saved in Powerpoint format.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
roxannhamilton

Post by roxannhamilton »

What does all that mean? I only have ability to read a power point. Why would I save it there where it can't be edited or added to? How would I ever show them?

Does impress have models to choose from and graphics?

My knowledge about computer stuff is less than a 3 yr old kid's knowledge.

Where can I look at them to know if they are easy enough for me to use? I don't want to download things until I'm sure I can figure out how to use them.
roxannhamilton

Post by roxannhamilton »

I am not able to learn only by reading about it. I must see and use/manipulate in order for me to learn something. And be able to talk to a live human in real time
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

As OpenOffice is a free download and volunteer supported project there is no telephone support. Impress is capable of editing and displaying its own files, and to lesser extent saving in other formats including PowerPoint. How an Impress file is displayed at a remote site is site dependent. In Powerpoint format it may display satisfactorily (or not). I have used OpenOffice for several presentations each year for the past seven or eight years, but I always use my own laptop, on which OpenOffice is installed, to display my presentations; I always work in Impress format because I know my computer can handle this.

I think, in view of your avowed lack of computer knowledge, that OpenOffice may not be the ideal program for you to use without local support. It may also be appropriate to consider attending a local computer course.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS