Presenter screen icons

Discuss the presentation application
geoffJT

Presenter screen icons

Post by geoffJT »

Impress (OO 4.1.2) under winXP or ubuntu LInux, with projector; using svga netbook I get two slides and two parts in presenter screen, not enough to navigate quickly. How can I see more? Is there a way to reduce the slide icon size?
Open Office 4.2.1 on Windows XP
RoryOF

Re: presenter screen icons

Post by RoryOF »

If you are using an older netbook with a 1024 x 600 pixel screen, you may be very limited in what you can do. If you can see the toolbar at bottom of screen you can make changes to the Presenter screen display - clicking Notes icon will give you current slide and next slide, with Notes for current; clicking Slides icon will give you a display of as many slides as will fit on the screen with a slider on the right for navigation through the range of slides. Clicking on a slide will put that on the display. Clicking the Close button at bottom of Notes or Slides View will return you to the normal current/next slide view.

In view of the limited power of a netbook processor, you should consider optimising your presentation for projection (/Tools /Minimise presentation) - this will cut a large presentation down in size without loss of quality, and greatly speed up its handling on computer. On a quick test, I note that the Projection screen is updated immediately, with the presenter screen following after a very slight delay (but this is on a three monitor setup, so may not be typical).

Edit: I'll dig out my old netbook (1024x600) later and try it. I make current presentations using a 1366x768 display. My memory is that Presenter screen is happiest with at least 768 pixels in the vertical dimension. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

As promised, I dug out my old, original series, acer ZG5 netbook. Running OO 3.4.1, when using Presenter Console, I see what geoffJT means in his post. The Slide view shows two slides side by side and two half slides below. Unfortunately I can see no way to change the resolution to display more slides. However, for those who are delivering a sequential presentation, the normal Presenter screen shows current/next slide and the notes screen shows current/next and a section of the notes (which can be scrolled).
geoffJT

Post by geoffJT »

Thank you RoryOF; looks like I'll have to put up with it, spend some cash, or go back to powerpoint 2000. That showed a text pane with a list of slide titles and numbers, it was helpful in letting you do 'number-Enter' to jump to a slide. I'm using it for song words, with live music. Musicians are notoriously artistic, and like to repeat bits, go back to the top and all those sorts of things that keep everyone guessing. It can be hard to keep up!
Open Office 4.2.1 on Windows XP
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I may have a method for you. Turn on Sidebar. Set Slide Show Settings to Window and select Slide Show. On the Sidebar, select the Navigator setting. Now your selected slide will show fairly large in a greyed out construction window, but by double clicking a slide name in the Navigator the slide in the constructiuon window will change to that selection. You'll have to fiddle with this to get the slides and sidebar showing on the desired screens, but it's not too clunky.