[Solved] Slide creation different after saving

Discuss the presentation application
wings515

[Solved] Slide creation different after saving

Post by wings515 »

I generated about 5 slides with the basic slide format of Title and Body. The body text had indented items with dot and dashes as the indent continued down the page. I saved the file as a .ppt with no problems. The following day, to continue the creation I opened the file, inserted a new slide and after completing the title I went to add text. Nothing I could do would replicate the dots and dashes as I entered and tabbed the text. I tried the 'bullets and numbering' function without success. I can not get the attributes I want for the presentation.
Could it be because I did not save the file as .odt?

I can get around not having the pronate attributes but it would be nice to have the slides with the same format.
Thanks,
wings515
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.1.0 Windows 7 and windows 8.1
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Slide creation different after saving

Post by Zizi64 »

Could it be because I did not save the file as .odt?
The native fileformat for the presentations named odp.
Always use the native, international Standard ODF file formats (odt, ods, odp, odg) of the Apache OpenOffice and the LibreOffice, because there is not 100% compatibility between the different fileformats of the AOO/LO and the MS Office. You alvays will lost some format informations at converting into the foreign file formats.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
wings515

Post by wings515 »

OK my mistake in the extension. I should have written .odp. My goal was to generate the slides to place on a Win 10 machine running MS Power Point for a training session. My solution will be to run the presentation on my Win 7 machine using OO with the .odp file.

Thanks for the reply.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Solutions:

1: The newer MS Office suites can open the Standard ODF files. Use the .odp filetype.

2.: You can try the Portable versions of the LibreOffice or the Apache OpenOffice.
http://portableapps.com/apps/office/lib ... e_portable
http://portableapps.com/apps/office/openoffice_portable
You can run them from a thumbdrive, and can open your .odp file with the portable office suite on an another Win PC.

3.: You can export your presentetion into PDF file format. (You will lost the transitions, and some other dinamic effects.)

4. You can export your .odp presentation into foreign file formats (.ppt) at end of the editing. You can try to play the result .ppt file with the free MS viewers, and you can play it on an another Win PC.
But you must store the original version of the .odp file, and if needed re-open it for edit, or modify, then use the original native, lossless .odp fileformat file.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
wings515

Post by wings515 »

I understand and tested the save in native format with full attributed being maintained. Thanks for the explanation.

Regards,
wings515