[Solved] Text Style on selected only

Discuss the presentation application
jhearcht

[Solved] Text Style on selected only

Post by jhearcht »

I select some of the text on one slide and add a shadow style. But the shadows now appear on text boxes on other slides. How can I apply the shadow style only to the selected text boxes?
Last edited by jhearcht on Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.1 on Windows 10
lalithr312

Re: Text Style on selected only

Post by lalithr312 »

jhearcht wrote:I select some of the text on one slide and add a shadow style. But the shadows now appear on text boxes on other slides. How can I apply the shadow style only to the selected text boxes?
jhearcht,

I wasn't able to reproduce this error. How did you select the text?
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10
jhearcht

Post by jhearcht »

lalithr, thanks for the reply.

This is my first project with OO. I just selected the text box and ctrl-A to select all text. Then I made a change, such as adding a shadow. But after closing, I discover that the modification now applies to all text of that style. The problem seems to be that I have to use the Edit Style function to make the change. I don't want to use the Shadow button. So how can I add a controllable shadow to a line of text without changing all of the same style?

PS__I don't see a way to just select a line of text, and see all of its properties in one place : such as, font, style, and formatting, plus modifications. That would make customizing text and objects much easier. When I select a text box or just a line of text within a box, I don't see any indication of its Style anywhere.

PPS__For example, I have notes in black and in white fonts. I want the while text to have black shadows.
example 2 : I have a numbered line with white text, and want to make the number white to match.
Last edited by jhearcht on Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Do you save in native ODF (.odp for Impress files)?
If you export in external formats, you may suffer such glitches.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
jhearcht

Post by jhearcht »

This is not an export glitch. It's just my ignorance of OO Impress. I'm more used to working on website software. There I can directly change the attributes of selected text without affecting other text of the same style.
jhearcht

Post by jhearcht »

lalithr, thanks for the reply.

This is my first project with OO. I just selected the text box and ctrl-A to select all text. Then I made a change, such as adding a shadow with Edit Style. But after closing, I discover that the modification now applies to all text of that style. The problem seems to be that I have to use the Edit Style function to make the change. I don't want to use the Shadow button. So how can I add a controllable shadow to a line of text without changing all of the same style?

PS__I don't see a way to just select a line of text, and see all of its properties in one place : such as, font, style, and formatting, plus modifications. That would make customizing text and objects much easier. When I select a text box or just a line of text within a box, I don't see any indication of its Style anywhere.

PPS__For example, I have notes in black and in white fonts. I want the while text to have black shadows.
example 2 : I have a numbered line with white text, and want to make the number white to match.
lalithr312

Post by lalithr312 »

jhearcht wrote:PS__I don't see a way to just select a line of text, and see all of its properties in one place : such as, font, style, and formatting, plus modifications. That would make customizing text and objects much easier. When I select a text box or just a line of text within a box, I don't see any indication of its Style anywhere.
Try enabling the Sidebar from the View menu.
It should show you all the properties of the current line of text.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10
jhearcht

Post by jhearcht »

That's the problem. The sidebar doesn't seem to relate to the selected text. It just shows a list of styles & formats.

Can you give me a step by step example of how to select a line of text within a box, and give it a different color from the other text in the same box and style?

PS__Nevermind. I'm beginning to get the hang of it. Making these changes is just more complicated than in my website software.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

There are different icons in the sidebar, the one for the properties of the selection is the first one, the blue and green cube.

Please add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10